cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Oz1978
Beginner
Message 1 of 7

Sudden problems connecting to BtWifi and BTOpenzone hotspots

I have a BT account and when round a friends house I usually log on to 2 bt hotspots (1 BTWiFi, 1 BtOpenzone-B). I've been connecting just fine to both for a couple of years now with hardly any issues at all, until recently when they both stopped providing a connection to the internet, I've tried connecting using my Ipad and Iphone (both using BTWifi app and not) and my friends PC but with no luck. All devices pick up a good strong signal and receive an IP address starting 10.*** just as they did before but get only limited connection. There is a BT-Wifi with Fon signal that I can connect to but its a very week signal and so intermittent and can only find it using the PC.

Is there anyone who can shed some light on this, I'm far from an expert but I'd have expected to get an IP address starting 169.*** if there was a problem with the hotspots internet connection, or does the 10.*** address just mean I'm connected to their router.

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 7

Re: Sudden problems connecting to BtWifi and BTOpenzone hotspots

An ip address starting with 10 is what I would expect when connecting to btwifi

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 7

The 169 range is a local address that Windows uses if it cannot get a valid IP address. This results in a "limited" or "local" access message.

0 Ratings
Oz1978
Beginner
Message 4 of 7

Ah right thanks thats a bit clearer, so why am I recieving an IP address starting with 10.*** but only limited connection, I have tried connecting to both hotspots several times a day for the last couple of weeks, a couple of times I got the 169 but apart from that as I described.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 7

Try deleting any stored bt wifi and FON connections that you have connected to before. Then rescan again for the BT Wifi hotspot that you are trying to connect to.

Many devices get confused when there are a number of connections with the same SSID, and different BSSIDs. Clearing out old connections can fix the problem.

0 Ratings
Oz1978
Beginner
Message 6 of 7

I think I've already tried but I will try tonight when I go round there, thanks

Would this include removing the BTWifi profile from my Ipad?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 7

The profile which you added to your ipad was to enable you to connect to the BTWIFI-X network

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings