Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Fretman
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 6

Suddenly Terrible Hotspot Signal?

Go to solution

I live 0.1 miles away from a commercial (Job Centre) hotspot. Normally the connection speed and signal are great. However, today the signal has been 1 bar and I can't connect. I've tried on multiple devices, multiple wifi adapters, and they too show the same thing?

Does this sometimes happen? What might it be? Should I call BT, go over there and say "hey restart your big router or sometihng" :D? Is there sometimes a cloud of electromagnetic energy that weakens all signals, is it a solar flare?

Any help? today is a really important day for me to have proper internet. It's a few weeks before BT are coming to install my own infinity so I need alternatives like that hotspot - which, again, is normally very strong.

Cheers

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 6

Re: Suddenly Terrible Hotspot Signal?

Go to solution

must admit I am really surprised you can conenct to a hotspot nearly 200yds away

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 6

Go to solution
There is nothing any one here can do to help you with public WiFi hotspots
0 Ratings
Fretman
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 6

Go to solution

Yes my situation is not resolved but better understood now. It's the BT App that misled me. It gave me a list of hotspots, the first one 0.1miles away, the next 5 miles away, the next 7 miles away etc. Then it connected me to a fast wireless hotspot. Leading me to believe that I was connected to some super-wide commercial router 0.1 miles away (down the road)... when in fact I was just possibly connected to a neighbour's hotspot allowance. 

So that hotspot is not really a "hotspot", it's just somebody else's router that I can connect to - with the same range as any router. It seems something has happened to whichever nearby neighbour's router, such that the next available hotspot is lower strength and cannot be connected to.

BT were/are misleading customers, quel surprise, but it answers my query.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 6

Go to solution
Most likely the hub user has turned either their hub off or have decided to turn public WiFi off
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 6 of 6

Go to solution

@Fretman wrote:

BT were/are misleading customers

It's certainly arguable that BT don't always make it clear that a large majority of their wifi hotspots are provided by customers' home hubs. But their blurb usually refers to a total of 5 million, which ought to be a clue that they're not all in Starbucks and John Lewis. Even if they were, in my experience commercial provision does not necessarily mean a better signal.

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.