Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Richardflea
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 21

Trouble Opting Out of BT WiFi and BT WiFi with FON

Go to solution

Hi all,

Recently upgraded from BT Unlimited Broadband (copper) to Infinity 1 (fibre) - now called Superfast Fibre Unlimited.
As part of the upgrade, we received a new Smart Hub v6, and so got rid of the old Home Hub 3.

The new Hub is broadcasting BTWiFi-X and BTWiFi-with-FON SSIDs on both 2.4GHz and 5GHz channels. We were previously opted-out from this for many years when on copper - I have no interest in broadcasting these additional four networks.

In our BT account, we are opted out of BT WiFi under the Manage Extras section.
We have also tried opting in and back out, but there has been no change.
The Hub has been restarted, and factory reset/restored from backup, also no change.
I understand there can be a "waiting period" for it to be disabled, but I refuse to believe it can take so long.

On two occasions I have used the Chat support and spoken to BT tech support in India - on both occasions it did not appear that they even knew what I was talking about when mentioning BT WiFi or FON. The second time the tech support thought I was trying to disable my LAN WiFi altogether...

Is there anyone here that can help to resolve this issue?
Thanks!
Smiley Very Happy

0 Ratings
20 REPLIES
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 21

Re: Trouble Opting Out of BT WiFi and BT WiFi with FON

Go to solution

I would go back and opt in then wait 24hrs then opt out.  It can take up to couple of weeks for hub to reflect the change

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Richardflea
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 21

Go to solution

Hi imjolly,

I can certainly give it another go although it has been tried before. If I remember correctly, the most recent opt out would be around 24th May so thats 10 days-ish

0 Ratings
Richardflea
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 21

Go to solution
Just a quick update - still no change. BT WiFi still broadcasting coming up to 3 weeks after opting out last
0 Ratings
Zurdo
Contributor
Message 5 of 21

Go to solution

I used this page to opt out a couple of days ago and it’s now gone.

https://www.bt.com/wifi/secure/status.do

0 Ratings
Richardflea
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 21

Go to solution

I've known about that site for years and have never been able to log into it. We have that age-old problem whereby it doesn't allow logging in with a BT ID that isn't a full btinternet email address - even when trying to login with our btinternet email address, it is not recognised as a primary email.

Opt outs have been performed in the My BT > Manage Extras section of the BT account. That's all I can do

0 Ratings
Zurdo
Contributor
Message 7 of 21

Go to solution

Sorry about that. I was showing as opted out on the manage extras BT site but was still broadcasting the BT with fon etc. till I did it via the page I sent you.

Best of luck!

0 Ratings
Richardflea
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 21

Go to solution
Thanks - good to know though. Just a shame I can't log into that site to cover that step
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 9 of 21

Go to solution

@Richardflea wrote:

I've known about that site for years and have never been able to log into it.

That's quite likely to be the result of BT's systems being incapable of synchronising across the board. I changed my password for all things BT (effectively my BTID) several years ago. The new one has worked everywhere I've been online except that BT Wi-fi status page, which still requires the original password despite several moans about it here, which seem to have gone to the Can't Be Bovvered department.

So if you've changed your BTID password at any time try the previous one if you can remember what it was.

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
0 Ratings
VeteranISPUser
Contributor
Message 10 of 21

Go to solution

@pottypersonwrote:

@Richardfleawrote:

I've known about that site for years and have never been able to log into it.

That's quite likely to be the result of BT's systems being incapable of synchronising across the board. I changed my password for all things BT (effectively my BTID) several years ago. The new one has worked everywhere I've been online except that BT Wi-fi status page, which still requires the original password despite several moans about it here, which seem to have gone to the Can't Be Bovvered department.

So if you've changed your BTID password at any time try the previous one if you can remember what it was.

Hi @pottyperson. For those of us without a btinternet.com BT ID we never reach the stage of having an invalid password. It simply fails on the Username. My BT ID is in the format name@mydomain.co.uk.  Smiley Sad

0 Ratings