cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sdowns
Beginner
Message 1 of 9

Trying to backup iTunes music

Has anyone actually managed to backup their iTunes music library?

Firstly I cannot get BT Cloud to backup files inside a folder and my iTunes library is split by artist folders so how is it ever meant to work?

Secondly on my Mac, I have my iTunes library on a separate disk to the startup disk and if I try to add files the app cannot even see anything other than the startup disk. I tried creating an alias on the startup disk but the app will not drill down into the folders.

I gave up trying to backup my photos when over 10% of failed to back up. I can see now from other threads that this was caused by a failed cloud upgrade but there was no mention of this at the time.

I thought when I was offered 100gb it would be a great help but so far it has been a total waste of time and I have no faith in actually being able to retrieve anything if I do actually manage to get it into the cloud.

Tags (2)
0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
patters_uk
Aspiring Contributor
Message 2 of 9

Re: Trying to backup iTunes music

did you ever get an answer to this .. I am sharing my "itunes XML" from within iTunes but BT Cloud says there is no itunes library installed ?

0 Ratings
sdowns
Beginner
Message 3 of 9

Never got a response so gave up. I went with a third party cloud solution in the end.

0 Ratings
billcubbon
Contributor
Message 4 of 9

Don't understand this one. All my music files are backed up to BT Cloud including a couple of Itunes downloads 41GB of them.

I just added the top level music folder on my Windows 10 PC to the Backup and they all uploaded. Find it quite handy actually since that then gives me access to all my music from my IPAD through the IPAD BT Cloud app when I'm out and about as long as there is a WiFi connection available.

0 Ratings
sdowns
Beginner
Message 5 of 9

I've just looked at the Mac version of the BT Cloud app again and there has been a major upgrade since the last time I tried to use it, 6 months ago. It can now see my music so will try to upload some tunes.

Thanks for resurrecting this thread. I might actually be able to use my BT Cloud space now!!

0 Ratings
JoeeeeeeR
Aspiring Expert
Message 6 of 9

Hi @billcubbon - that's exactly what I do too! works well for me, and I've also marked my favourite songs as 'Available offline' so I can listen without using mobile data.

@patters_uk - I haven't seen this error before - Is it a PC or a Mac you're using? Have you tried just marking the top level folder for backup, or is that where you get the .xml error?

0 Ratings
patters_uk
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 9

Windows 10 .. 

When I click the music button on BT Cloud then it says make your itunes XML accessible to other applications. Logging into itunes I can see it is, so obvioulsy BT Cloud can't locate or deosn't have permission to view it

0 Ratings
JoeeeeeeR
Aspiring Expert
Message 8 of 9

Hm, sounds like a tricky one.

My advice would be to just select add your 'Music' root folder to the list of folders to backup under the Backup tab of BT Cloud. On my Windows 10 computer the BT Cloud app can see all my itunes music, but I don't really see any advantage to this. When on the music tab it just gives you a list sorted by artist / album / track, and you can tick the songs you want to upload). I wanted all my music to upload, so adding it on the 'Backup' tab was much better for me.

0 Ratings
billcubbon
Contributor
Message 9 of 9

Absolutely JoeeeeeeR. This is exactly what I do.

I really can't see any point in using the Music Tab in the Windows 10 program, seems to give no advantages over just adding the whole Music folder under the Backup tab.

Then when I use the BT Cloud app on my IPAD, tapping on the music tab in that application displays all my music perfectly in whatever order I like.

0 Ratings