Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
LordWazon
Message 1 of 19

Turn off BT Openzone but keep my house WiFi

Go to solution

Hi! I recently noticed that on my network there's bunch of different, unknown devices showing up on Network tab in Explorer. I did not know a single device from that list, so I started to investigate. My WiFi has it's own name and is secured by 25 char password with mix letters, numbers and chars. From what I see, my router broadcast my private WiFi and BT Openzone thing (that free hotspot for people who sign up for BT).

As I share A LOT between my PC, 2x laptops and phone (which includes private stuff like photos and information), can I disable BT Openzone so no-one can access my network? Besides, why even they have an access to my private network? How on earth could anyone think that it was a good idea? P.S. I did connected to it with my laptop and I could access my shared resources (shared only by LAN). How on earth does it work?! And is it even safe? Am I thinking right, that because of that, anyone could access all my private shared stuff through BT Openzone? And if so, why was it enabled by deffault? And main question - how do I keep my WiFi and Disable BT Openzone?

0 Ratings
18 REPLIES
-Richie-
Aspiring Expert
Message 2 of 19

Re: Turn off BT Openzone but keep my house WiFi

Go to solution

You do know it does no harm, It has no effect on your LAN, it doesn't count towards your usage either.

To opt out you need to login to your MyBT account at www.bt.com/mybt and go to the My Extras section. From there you can opt out of the BT Wifi/Fon service, from what I remember it takes about 24/48 hours to update.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 19

Go to solution

your home network is totally separate from the BTWIFI network you can see from your hub and there is no access to your home network by anyone logging in to the BTWIFI  I think after you opt out it and nearer 7 days maybe even longer for hub to update

by opting out you will not be able to use BTWIFI when you are out and about

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
LordWazon
Message 4 of 19

Go to solution

When you say "it does no harm" you clearly did not read my post. Whatever I share on my LAN is accessible through Openzone. It's not safe at all to share my photos or any files which I use between computers, as anyone who's subscribed to that service can come near my house and just join it and have access to it.

And no, they are not sepperate. I am turning off WiFi for now and waiting to my new router, not BT one to arrive. That's the safest option I think to have possibility to share anything between my PC's.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 19

Go to solution

See http://www.btwifi.co.uk/help/common-questions/

BT Wifi traffic is carried over a separate Virtual Network, which has no connection to your own private network.

Your own private network has priority over any user connected to BT Wifi/FON/Openzone, so it will not affect your download or upload speed.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Communityhelp (Private website) Lots of additional information and help.
You will need to be connected to your home BT Broadband connection to view it, or any links to it that I post on this forum.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 19

Go to solution

BTWifi-Fon or as you have called it BT Openzone is a totally separate network from your home network. Your home network can not be accessed by anyone using BTWifi.

If as you have said that you connected to it with your laptop are you sure you were accessing something that was not already in your laptops shared folders. Did you mange to access something that was on another device's shared folder.

See links about BTWifi

http://www.btwifi.com/what-is-bt-wi-fi/

https://www.btwifi.com/help/common-questions/

0 Ratings
LordWazon
Message 7 of 19

Go to solution

gg30340 so how would you explain that I can access random phones that are getting connected to BT Hotspot? And no, I did connected to BT Hotspot, listened for any new shares which I created randomly to check it out and they were there! They were not added on my laptop at all before. Protected by my password, of course, but still. I'm going to try different Hotspots and I will try to access some other shares connected to any WiFi and see if it works. If it is, I'm going to try to contact BT and have some questions answered.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 19

Go to solution

@LordWazon

sorry you are wrong and you now have 3 replies saying you cannot access your home network by logging in to BTWIFI

If you still believe you can then just save the hassle and opt out and be done with it

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
LordWazon
Message 9 of 19

Go to solution
@imjolly So how would you explain that I can see on my laptop, connected to my home private network some phones and other devices that are connected to BT WiFi? Because that how it's started. Is my router config messed up or how does it work?
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 19

Go to solution

you can see them in hub devices but you cannot access them nor can they on BTWIFI access your private network  but this is just repeating what I and others have said     best solution is just opt out

0 Ratings