cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RedPoodle
Beginner
Message 1 of 11

Turn off BT WiFi with FON

Good morning - hope I’ve posted this in the right spot.

I’m opted out but my Hub 6 is still broadcasting as a hotspot.  I’ve patiently waited over 28 days TWICE (the magic number apparently?) to no avail.  It’s still broadcasting.  I need it turned off please.  Who can do this?  Telephone advisers can’t (they caused this problem in the first place by resetting my hub to default factory settings when trying to fix the speed) and I’ve spoken to at least half a dozen advisers since, most of whom didn’t even know what I was talking about, and those who did said they can’t help.  The WiFi Help Desk said it would take up to 28 days.  That’s been tried twice.  

There must be someone out there who can fix this?  Someone who can flick the switch and turn my hub’s BT WiFi status from active back to inactive?  Like it’s always been?  Thank you so much for any help!

10 REPLIES 10
alanbroad
Aspiring Contributor
Message 2 of 11

Re: Turn off BT WiFi with FON

Haven't gone through as many hoops as you, but my BT-Wifi turned itself back on mid-March with the latest firmware update (SG4B1000E020) and nothing I've tried can turn it back off - including turn it on, wait a day, turn it off, wait 28 days.

It feels like the latest firmware is forcing it on whether you opt-out or not  😞

RedPoodle
Beginner
Message 3 of 11

Hi alanbroad

Thanks so much for your reply.

This doesn’t sound promising!  It would be good if BT staff (mods?) could confirm either way ... whether it is still possible to stop it broadcasting, or if we’re wasting our time and it’s now on permanently. 

Hopefully, we’ll get a reply soon.  Thanks again.

bats1
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 11

• I have done the same opted in then out but it's still broadcasting as other replies mine only come on since the software update I wonder if its anything to the covid-19 virus so ppl can keep in touch hopefully we will get a response from someone soon as why this is happening 
0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 11

That would presuppose that BT knew what they were doing, it will just be the usual incompetence of the firmware update resetting BT Wifi.

That said, I'm afraid I can't understand why it is such a big deal. The network is totally secure and separate from your home network and the home network has priority for bandwidth and you have the opportunity for free wifi whilst out and about.

alanbroad
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 11

I just don't want it   ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

And more to the point, I had opted out, and now it's been forced on against my wishes - I don't like that.

0 Ratings
RedPoodle
Beginner
Message 7 of 11

Quite. We’re given a choice, we make that choice - an informed one - and it’s not implemented. 

I’m disappointed that we’re still awaiting a staff reply - with similar past threads, mods have been quick to get involved and resolve the situation.  Guess I’ll just have to keep bumping it until they do!

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 11

@RedPoodle 

If you really do not want it transmitted, then use your own third party router, they do not transmit that network.

0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 11

@RedPoodle wrote:

Quite. We’re given a choice, we make that choice - an informed one - and it’s not implemented. 

I’m disappointed that we’re still awaiting a staff reply - with similar past threads, mods have been quick to get involved and resolve the situation.  Guess I’ll just have to keep bumping it until they do!

The moderators are very busy dealing with vulnerable customers who have priority issues.

I would suggest that turning off BTWifi will not be seen as a very important or priority issue so to keep bumping your thread will achieve nothing other than no doubt annoy other forum users! 

RedPoodle
Beginner
Message 10 of 11

Thank you for your reply.

I've tried Netgear but, unfortunately, my Ring devices don't seem to "like" it.  Its WiFi extender only seems to work properly with my BT Hub, too.  I'm *this* close to dumping fixed line broadband altogether (house alarm is now wireless in readiness) and going 4G, but am hanging on in because everything is satisfactory and stable here now.  It's taken several years, literally, to get to this point.  Would just be nice to have an answer re broadcasting hubs when opted out.

Thanks again.  Stay safe!

0 Ratings