cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 15

Unable to Opt Out of BT Wifi

HI

Ive tried several times to opt out of BT Wifi on the web using the methods described in various posts and have also tried to contact BT Help desk to no avail.

I have been in touch with Mod David previously and he asked me to open a request so he can help.

Here it is can someone help?
Thx

Tom

0 Ratings
14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15

Re: Unable to Opt Out of BT Wifi

I have asked mods to help

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 15

Hi @TunnylaneTom 

Thanks for your post and welcome back!

Sorry for the problems you're having opting out of BT Wifi.  I have sent you a private message with instructions on how you can send us over your details and we'll look into this for you. See: Private messages

Cheers,

Robbie

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 15

I have also had this same problem since the firmware update in June 2020,

Its my grandmothers house she is 80 and of high risk to catching covid-19 we have been very careful with the social distancing rules but some days there is that many people outside our house within very close proximity sometimes it feels like it is causing us more of a problem than its worth. 

We have spoken to customer service on 5 occasions and every time told to give it 24hours and restart and it will be off and its all been lies. If we cannot turn off or opt out and BT are willing to monopolise our own internet connections and "re-sell" a service we are paying for then i think its time something more official was done about this. 

Just want to point out how much a non BT user pays for "leeching" our internet connections 
1 hour£4.99 -  1 day£7.99 -  5 day£17.99 -  30 day£39 -  3 Month Unlimited £30 per month  - 12 Month Unlimited £15 per month
 (source -https://my.btwifi.com/selfcare/chooseProduct )

So my grandmother a customer of BT for over 40 years pays 62.99pm for Broadband and calls deal. We only get 22mb download and 4mb upload and when you have people who are buying access at a premium to use or worse than 4g connection you see my point.

So if your reading this hoping that BT will fix it then please dont be mistaken and take it to OFCOM for a review. 

Like my grandma says you don't buy a bag of chips and expect a stranger to pay the owner of the shop to sit next to you and eat from your plate. Its rude and is about time its addressed. 

Message 5 of 15

Like this and other posts I too would like to opt out of BT Wi-Fi now, but cannot do so online and I'm getting nowhere trying to talk to someone.

Can a Mod please assist me?

I tolerated the idea of BT Wi-Fi when I joined, give a bit of bandwidth to take a bit when you need it seemed fair to me, but adding connections off of my Smart Hub 2 to sell is not acceptable and not even telling your customers you are going to do it is unforgiveable. 

For those that haven't noticed yet, the latest firmware introduces 2 new Wi-Fi networks alongside the BT Wi-Fi (or BT Wi-Fi X for Apple devices), worded as "wl0-Guest" networks:

bt-wifi.jpg

If you connect to one of these networks you get to enjoy some of my bandwidth for a hefty price if you are not already a BT customer:

bt-wifi2.PNG

————————————————————-
BT Smart Hub 2 | Halo 3+ | Digital Voice | Sky Q | Apple TV 4K | LG OLED
0 Ratings
Message 6 of 15

Hi @stereohaven 

Thanks for your post.

Sorry for the problems you're having opting out of BT Wifi online.  I have sent you a private message with instructions on how you can send us over your details and we'll look into this for you. See: Private messages

Cheers,

Robbie

Message 7 of 15

Thanks, message sent.

————————————————————-
BT Smart Hub 2 | Halo 3+ | Digital Voice | Sky Q | Apple TV 4K | LG OLED
0 Ratings
Message 8 of 15

Hi,

I posted on the same issue on the 2nd September and didn't really get any real answers. 

https://community.bt.com/t5/BT-Devices/Odd-named-guest-wifi-networks-have-appeared/m-p/2090901#M1701... 

I too tried to opt out and just get an error page. I had performed a factory reset of the SH2 and the networks haven't come back as yet, but i assume its just a matter of time. It took about 16 days before they appeared the first time, so i'm expecting these to return in the next few days at the moment.

If there's a way of opting out that you can suggest or perform, then i'd appreciate if that can be done.

Many thanks,

Michael

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 15

Hi @mforrest thanks for posting, is your Hub still broadcasting the BT Wifi SSID at the moment even though the BT Wifi status is showing as not active?

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 15

Hi Neil,

At the moment it's not broadcasting the wl0-guest2 and wl1-guest2 SSIDs, although it seemed to kick in after a few weeks after my install. 

mforrest_0-1600160577736.png

My SH2 rebooted about 16 days after the install and BT Wi-fi went active at that point - then the new SSIDs appeared. Although since I wasn't able to opt-out, I can only assume its a matter of time until it comes back on again.

Can someone clarify if these new networks are expected? It doesn't appear to be going to all users etc.

Thanks,

Michael

0 Ratings