cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MurleyCat
Beginner
Message 1 of 9

Unable to access certain sites (National Lottery, Majestic etc) with new BT Smart Hub

Happens across all products, Apple and Windows and all browsers

Seems to effect sites which are age restricted, i.e. lottery you have to be 18 and majestic you also have to be 18 to purchase the wine, Apollo e-cigs

Example of error message on safari it states it cannot connect due to a lack of secure connection

Can access sites using my phone off wifi

Parental controls off

tried DNS 8.8.8.8

turn hub off

factory reset of hub 

turning off firewall 

nothing works and BT call centre have no clues either, very frustrating.

any ideas?

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 9

Re: Unable to access certain sites (National Lottery, Majestic etc) with new BT Smart Hub

If it affects all devices, first make sure that smart setup is turned off.

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/44328/~/switching-smart-setup-on-and-off-on-the-bt-ho...

Then login to MyBT and make sure that BT Parental controls are not set to restict content to over 18s.

You cannot use other DNS servers without totally uninstalling BT Parental controls, and making sure BT Protect is turned off.

0 Ratings
MurleyCat
Beginner
Message 3 of 9

Re: Unable to access certain sites (National Lottery, Majestic etc) with new BT Smart Hub

Hey thanks, Smart Set Up off, Checked BT account and made sure parental controls are off, and BT protect is off.

still no joy, just restarting the router.

Have you any other advice? 

Thanks again 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
graystreet
Contributor
Message 4 of 9

Haved you tried turning off your AV software, obviously just for a shoirt time, and accessing one of the sites then?

0 Ratings
MurleyCat
Beginner
Message 5 of 9

Issue still ongoing after nearly a month. BT call me nearly every day (level 1 support) but they don't have a clue. Basically they ask me to the same thing every day, try a different browser, different device, etc. Factory reset, turn it off. Then they say level 2 support will call you. Level 2 support have never called back. It's pretty awful service.

As far as I can tell it's either the BT SmartHub 6 doing this or parental controls has a bug and is over riding the off setting. 

Anyone got got any ideas, I feel like we are being left to try fix this by ourselves as BT are not going to.

:o(

0 Ratings
Liam_
Expert
Message 6 of 9

Hi,

Try Tor Browser. It will bypass any ISP filters and also bypass filters set in your router. If you can access the problem pages using Tor then something that says it's off is still on.

0 Ratings
MurleyCat
Beginner
Message 7 of 9

Yes we could access with Tor. So that proves its the router or BT..... 

0 Ratings
Liam_
Expert
Message 8 of 9

Well it certainly points to an external fault, so not any of your personal equipment.

I suspect it's either a glitch with turning off the "Protection" software, namely:-

BT Parental Controls

BT Protect

or BT NetProtect Plus

They really are a waste of time and of very limited utility as demonstrated by using the Tor Browser.

The alternative is the hub itself, which is a possibility seeing all the reports of problems with the new "Smart" Hub. Quote from the BT sales pitch, "Get a hub that helps you out. This is clever. The BT Smart Hub constantly monitors your internet connection. If it spots a problem, it will quietly reboot and make a fresh connection."

So, if the thing itself is a bit iffy the above could explain the connection drops people report.

I never use hubs, got 3 of them in their boxes. Best bet is to buy your own quality third party modem/router. The hub apparently retails at £130 + P&P. For that amount you can get a really good one.

0 Ratings
MurleyCat
Beginner
Message 9 of 9

Thanks, We have gone out and purchased a new router will trial it this weekend.

0 Ratings