Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Endersby23
Beginner
Message 1 of 9

Unable to disable the BT WIFI Community hot spot function on a Home Hub 6

Go to solution

About a month ago, I changed from BT Total Broadband Option 2 to BT Unlimited Broadband Extra which included a new Home Hub 6.  I used this to replace my old Home Hub 2B.  Under my former BB Option 2 arrangement, I had intentionally Opted Out of the BT WIFI Community and hence had the BT WIFI hot spot functionality disabled on the HH2B.

However, after setting up the new HH6, I noted that it's BT WIFI (hot spot) status showed Activated by default, ie not what I wanted. I subsequently found out that this hot spot function can only be deactivated by remote admin action from BT and cannot be changed locally using the HH6's user menu.

Nevertheless, if I go online and do a check of my BT WIFI Community status, this reports me as being Opted Out. This is clearly wrong since my HH6 continues to show its BT WIFI hot spot function as being Activated.

Finally, if I access the online BT WIFI Community Opt-out page and take the opt-out option, I'm given an immediate confirmation that I've (apparently) left the BT WIFI Community and that I must leave the Hub powered up for 48 hours in order for the hot spot to be disabled. I've done this on a number of occasions but in reality absolutely nothing happens to disable my BT WIFI Community hot spot functionality.

Please help!

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 9

Re: Unable to disable the BT WIFI Community hot spot function on a Home Hub 6

Go to solution

Welcome to this user forum.

If you try opting in first, then wait 24 hours, then opt out again. That will be seen as a change of state, and the opted out configuration should be sent to the home hub.

Bear in mind, any factory reset of the home hub, will re-enable BT Wifi, and you would have to do the same thing again, as it would be unaware of the reset.

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 9

Go to solution

@Endersby23 wrote:

Finally, if I access the online BT WIFI Community Opt-out page and take the opt-out option, I'm given an immediate confirmation that I've (apparently) left the BT WIFI Community and that I must leave the Hub powered up for 48 hours in order for the hot spot to be disabled. I've done this on a number of occasions but in reality absolutely nothing happens to disable my BT WIFI Community hot spot functionality.

Please help!

This would seem to imply you are not leaving the hub powered 24/7 as a matter of course and are selectively leaving it powered. The hub is not intended to be switched on and off and is better left continuosly powered.

Endersby23
Beginner
Message 4 of 9

Go to solution

@Keith_Beddoe wrote:

If you try opting in first, then wait 24 hours, then opt out again. That will be seen as a change of state, and the opted out configuration should be sent to the home hub.......

Thanks Keith,

I'm now giving your BT WIFI opt-in/wait-24hrs/opt-out suggestion a try. 

Strangely, when I did the opt in bit, the response screen then showed:

• BT Broadband option: BT Total BB Option 2
               Unlimited

Note that my month-old BB change was actually from BT Total BB Option 2 to BT Unlimited BB Extra and this isn't reflected in the above.  Also the Option 2 was a data restriction which the BT system has apparently now made Unlimited.  Rather strange....... 

I'll attempt the opt-out tomorrow.

0 Ratings
Endersby23
Beginner
Message 5 of 9

Go to solution
No, much as I hate power wastage its been powered up 24/7.
0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 9

Go to solution

That should initiate a change, it should show up in the event log under remote management.

0 Ratings
Endersby23
Beginner
Message 7 of 9

Go to solution

Thanks, I'll look out for it but is it actually as obvious as you suggest?  I have some recent CWMP stuff in the log now but I'm unclear as to what its doing.

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 9

Go to solution

@Endersby23 wrote:

Thanks, I'll look out for it but is it actually as obvious as you suggest?  I have some recent CWMP stuff in the log now but I'm unclear as to what its doing.

It will be a value change.

Anyway, you will see when its been disabled, as the BT Wifi SSID will be turned off.

0 Ratings
Endersby23
Beginner
Message 9 of 9

Go to solution

@Keith_Beddoe wrote:

If you try opting in first, then wait 24 hours, then opt out again. That will be seen as a change of state, and the opted out configuration should be sent to the home hub.

Bear in mind, any factory reset of the home hub, will re-enable BT Wifi, and you would have to do the same thing again, as it would be unaware of the reset.

Your suggestion as above duly worked  -  thanks Keith!  

Having previously done the Opt-in, I initiated the BT WIFI Community Opt-out late last night.  From the hub's log, nothing then happened until about 22:30 this evening when a CWMP session began with the HH6 that obviously included the necessary parameter change (the log doesn't show any real detail).

So now the hub's user menu duly shows BT WIFI as deactivated and indeed, the BT WIFI SSID is no longer being broadcast by the hub.  Also the online BT WIFI status page now shows Opted Out. 

The only minor gremlin is the BT BB option shown on the above status page. This is still wrong as it shows my former BB option of Total Broadbad Option 2..... but do I really care ?  Presumably the process for updating this is completely indepenant of this WIFI stuff. 

0 Ratings