Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
GreenWizard
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 10

Unable to scan for viruses

Go to solution

Hi I hope I am in the right place but I have got the full MacAfee package with BT and am unable to run a virus scan. I assume that I must have been infected with a virus as I cannot right click on the icon. It will not run when I double click on the programme in the start menu and I have tried system restore but that didn't work. Is there anything I can do before paying somebody?

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 10

Re: Unable to scan for viruses

Go to solution

My advice and that of others on the forum would be to uninstall BTNetprotect. It can cause problems on some computers and is a resource hog. Do a search of the forum to see the problems. There are far better free antivirus programs available such as Avast Free and AVG Free.

If you do want to uninstall BTNetprotect use this guide and make sure you use the BTNetprotect/McAfee removal tool after you have restarted your computer.

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/13523

If you do want to re use BT Netprotect, uninstall it using this guide along with the BTNetprotect/McAfee removal tool after a restart and then reinstall. This might resolve your problem.

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/38369/

You could also try starting your computer in "Safe Mode" to see if the scanner will run.

0 Ratings
GreenWizard
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 10

Go to solution

I managed to run a scan in safe mode and didn't find anything amiss so not a virus. Will look into it being a problem with Windows.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 10

Go to solution

It is more likely to be a problem with BTNetprotect/McAfee. As I said, I would get rid of it but if you do want to keep it, try uninstalling and reinstalling as per my previous post.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
GreenWizard
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 10

Go to solution

There are other problems and started when it froze halfway through installing an update for I Tunes. Since then I am unable to shut down as normal and Windows locks out when I right click to open or start anything. I can still virus scan in safe mode until I find a solution.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 10

Go to solution

Now that you have mentioned the itunes problem, it sounds more likely your aborted itunes install has corrupted Windows. You could try uninstalling itunes and see how you get on. If that doesn't work, you could try a system restore from a point prior to the itunes update to see if that helps. 

It may be that you will have to run a Windows repair if you have a Windows disc or ultimately re-install Windows but before doing that I would uninstall BTNetprotect/McAfee and see if that helps.

0 Ratings
GreenWizard
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 10

Go to solution

In the end I uninstalled McAfee in safe mode and installed Nortons as I had a free 60 day trial when I bought my laptop. In the end it was a virus and nothing to do with the I-Tunes download, just a coincidence. Doing a virus scan in safe mode didn't pick the virus up so not sure how effective it was. So problem solved, thanks for your help.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 10

Go to solution

Did Norton pick up a virus or was it just that uninstalling McAfee cured the problem. If it was a virus, which one was it?

0 Ratings
GreenWizard
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 10

Go to solution
Norton picked up 14 of I think the same tracking virus, didn't take too much notice of the result of the scan just glad it worked.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
Message 10 of 10

Go to solution

@GreenWizard wrote:
Norton picked up 14 of I think the same tracking virus, didn't take too much notice of the result of the scan just glad it worked.

From your description you have cleared some tracking cookies. These are usually harmless, and of nuisance level only.

Before you do a scan on Norton, clear your Internet History from your browser.

For example, in Internet Explorer (11), you can clear Internet History from the tools tab and preserve cookies from favourite websites.

If you don't clear Internet History first, then you may clear some of your "good" cookies with the scan, and lose your settings for location, e.g. BBC local news and local weather forecasts.

0 Ratings