cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rmcubed
Beginner
Message 4 of 141

Parental controls no longer working

Parental controls are on and set up but are having no effect. They did work for about 2 weeks but now do nothing. As a test I added sites to the blocked list but was still able to access them.

I did last week click on the links at some point to disable them for an hour, I didn't check if they came back on after that.

I spoke to somebody following a script at BT and they told me to reset filter level to strict which I did - no effect. They then wanted me to reset bt home hub to factory settings but it would take ages to do that then reset settings, so I was unwilling. As a network-level thing as long as I am using BT DNS and no proxy it shouldn't depend on the home hub anyway. I tried to explain this to them (big mistake) but they were unwilling to deviate from script.

I tried it in sites which were definitely not in DNS cache on computer or hub so it isn't that.

Tags (1)
0 Ratings
Message 7 of 141

Re: Parental controls no longer working

Hi rmcubed and welcome.

This sounds like an account based issue so we'll need to take a closer look for you. Drop me an email with the details. You'll get the 'contact us' link in my profile.

Cheers

David

0 Ratings
rmcubed
Beginner
Message 12 of 141

Thanks will do. I also tried deleting parental controls (not just switching them off), waiting over 24 hours and then reactivating. My new BT home hub 5 also arrived yesterday and parental controls don't work with that either.
0 Ratings
rmcubed
Beginner
Message 15 of 141

Now working - why unknown, maybe David and the team fixed something for me, although if they did no one told me!
0 Ratings
clojobobo
Message 19 of 141

Hi there

I am having the same problem. They were working but now they are not. Very concerned as I have young children and need to get this sorted asap. Please can you help David?

In parental contyrols section of My BT it is saying this:

Parental Controls is not live yet. It normally takes up to 2 hours for your filtering options to become active after registration. When the activation is done you won't need to do anything else.

and has been for days.

Please help.

Many thanks

0 Ratings
pennerspenners
Aspiring Contributor
Message 103 of 141

DO THE MODS EVER HELP ANYONE?

I have tried in vain to get the Indian call centre to help - multiple calls; the fault reporting service; and the BT customer help form twice but no one has ever contacted me. A forum moderator, DavidM, told me the BT customer help form would be picked up by them but it never has been. They just ignore it.

All I want is for the parental controls to work. The 'myextras' page always says it has a technical error. I've reset the router numerous times etc etc etc but it has never worked.

If there is anyone out there reading this who is considering BT I strongly advise you to pay a little extra and get a good isp such as Zen or similar! Customer service is any alien concept to BT. I am now looking into contacting the relevant ombudsman.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 104 of 141

Re: DO THE MODS EVER HELP ANYONE?

'DO THE MODS EVER HELP ANYONE'

have you read any other posts on the forum and the number of people who have had their problem solved by the mods?

maybe your problem is not solved but the parental problem appears to have been fixed for many.  have you gone to MYBT and see if you can now get to parental controls?

if you have and then contacted the mods then it can take 3/5 working days for mods to get back to you as you join a queue of others who also think their problem is as important and probably more important than yours.  hence why the queue and all replies in order of receipt of the contact us email

just a matter of patience until your email get to top of inbox

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
pennerspenners
Aspiring Contributor
Message 105 of 141

Re: DO THE MODS EVER HELP ANYONE?

Thank you for your kind and thoughtful post. That was really helpful. 

0 Ratings
zimbo
Aspiring Contributor
Message 100 of 141

Parental Controls activated by itself

I experienced the exact same problem as this thread - https://community.bt.com/t5/Apps-and-Extras-from-BT/Parental-Controls-activated-without-account-hold...- yesterday.

I had sites blocked as 'inappropriate' plus the DNS error 'You're seeing this page because BT Parental Controls is active and you are attempting to connect to a DNS server outside of our network.'

I checked My BT and it showed PC was not active. So I too activated it then turned the lights off - but no change to browsing. So I then deleted PC.

I am still however getting sites blocked - like MSN and BBC News - this morning with the DNS 'error' in Chrome yet Firefox allows site access. Yesterday it was Firefox being blocked but Chrome was OK. ???

I have changed nothing on my computer, router or My BT to cause this to happen (apart from my description above - but PC is now definitely off in My BT).

What is the solution?

(And could someone advise what should my Advanced TCP/IP settings be, just in case? Although as I said, I haven't changed them in years.)

0 Ratings
Message 102 of 141

Re: Parental Controls activated by itself

Hi

Spent 2 hours on the phone to BT tonight to try to fix this exact problem - even though I have never had parental controls activated.

Doesn't let me access Youtube (because of parental control) but surprisingly I can still access as much hardcore **bleep** as I want.

BT first said I'd switched on the service (this took 1 hour waiting for the worlds rudest 'help desk' who told me 'We wouldnt switch it on - it must have been you'. So I went to complaints desk (+45 minutes) then back to another 'Help desk' who said that have an 'Outage' for their Parental Controls service.

Bull S*** its a plain and simple bug a service that I didnt want, installed on my account and enabled without my say so.

Surprisingly - followed all their instructions and still got the problem.

Useless service, Useless support, Useless company.
0 Ratings