cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 13

Updating online security to Norton

Another variation on this wider topic. In my case when I reach the 'Your Security' dashboard my options specific to BT Virus Protect are simply 'Manage' and 'More information'.  The latter doesn't provide much more specific information while the 'Manage' option results in the 'Server Error' message - plus masses of script.

Help please to understand what is going on as the narrative in the 'instructions' does not correspond to what I see on my screen.

Laptop user running W10.

0 Ratings
12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13

Re: Updating online security to Norton

Hi, @guylingford Thanks for the post and welcome back to the community. I'm sorry to see you're having problems updating the BT Virus protect software. Are you sure you're using the primary BT ID that has Account holder status?

To check which role is attached to your BT ID, please follow the steps below:

1. Log in to My BT >
  2. Click on Settings and Your account
  3. Scroll down and you’ll see if you’re an Account holder or Account manager

If your BT ID is linked to more than one account number, it's possible to have a different account status for each account.

Thanks

Neil

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 13

Hi Neil - thanks for looking at this. Screen shot attached confirming that I have Account Manager status. I am not aware that I have any other 'MyBT' profiles - how would I know?

2022-01-31_LI 2.jpg

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 13

@guylingford Thanks for checking that, you must have another BT ID linked to your BT account number that has account holder status. 

If you want the BT ID that you're using to have account holder status you can click on the link 'I should be the account holder' as shown on the screenshot you provided and follow the steps.

Thanks

Neil

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 13

Thanks again NeilO

Things have moved on. I contacted the Broadband helpdesk who reset the profile to Account Holder status and things dropped in as expected re Norton from there. 

Only question I have now is whether Norton will conflict with Windows 10 Security which is already running on my laptop. Guess we will find out (and will be somewhat annoyed if it does to be honest!). Or maybe you know the answer to this one already?

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 13

@guylingford wrote:

Only question I have now is whether Norton will conflict with Windows 10 Security which is already running on my laptop. Guess we will find out (and will be somewhat annoyed if it does to be honest!). Or maybe you know the answer to this one already?

If you have Norton installed, Windows AV will have automatically turned off so you should not have any problems with the two conflicting.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 13

Woah - hold on. What happened to informed choice? Why should I accept Norton when Windows Security has served me well? Norton may suit BT but does it suit the customer?

What are the advantages of Norton over Windows Security? Neil O - I am grateful to you for answering the question but am less than happy to be faced with this fait accompli. Nowhere in all the blurb that BT has sent does it say anything about Norton replacing Windows Security. What does MS have to say about this?

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 13

@guylingford wrote:

Woah - hold on. What happened to informed choice? Why should I accept Norton when Windows Security has served me well? Norton may suit BT but does it suit the customer?

What are the advantages of Norton over Windows Security? Neil O - I am grateful to you for answering the question but am less than happy to be faced with this fait accompli. Nowhere in all the blurb that BT has sent does it say anything about Norton replacing Windows Security. What does MS have to say about this?

It is entirely up to you whether or not you decide to use Norton or any other AV product.

If you do not download Norton it can not replace Microsoft and you can continue to use Microsoft if that is what you want. The choice is up to you, not BT.

BT are only offering you Norton as part of your add ons with your broadband package. You do not need to use it.

Norton only replaces Microsoft antivirus IF YOU decide to download and install Norton or any other AV product for that matter.

The reason it "replaces" Microsoft if you have chosen to install Norton is that you can not have two antivirus programs running together. They will conflict with each other and cause problems on your computer.

Message 9 of 13

Thanks for responding so quickly Distinguished Sage. I'm still not entirely happy here. I have followed BT's request to update the AV to Norton but feel (in hindsight) that they could have made it much clearer as to what would happen and the potential benefits v risks. For you to say that the choice to download Norton was mine when BT actually wanted me to do so is, I feel, a bit disingenuous. How would you feel if your favourite Aunt / Uncle or close family member were to have been 'bounced' into taking action and then advised 'it was your choice'.

I don't know the nature of your connection with BT i.e. employee or simply a good natured person trying to help those, like me, trying to find a solution to an issue but I'm starting to feel that there wasn't a problem in the first place and BT, through its letter has created a headache for me, and other customers and solved one for for itself.

Lets not fall out over this but I hope that you can see my point.  In the meantime I'll mull over what the next steps are. This may include a formal complaint to BT / Ofcom. I'll also take counsel from MS.

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 13

I do not nor have I ever worked for BT. I am a customer just like you. I do not use BT Virus Protect/ Norton or any of the other add ons that BT offer for "free" if I choose to use them, that come with my broadband package.

BT did not "request" or tell you that you that you were to update your choice of AV to Norton. 

They told you that BT Virus Protect is now powered by Norton and that to stay protected you should update your software. 

This is clearly in relation to BT Virus Protect. There is no mention any where that it is in relation to Microsoft AV or any other AV product.

I have no intention of falling out with anybody but in my opinion you have clearly read this incorrectly and you have assumed for some reason that BT hold power over what AV you must use on your computer which is clearly not the case.

If it were the case why were you not "told" to use McAfee when you first signed up to BT which you clearly were not by virtue of the fact you were using Microsoft AV. 

It is up to you if you want to complain to Ofcom, BT or Microsoft regarding this so please keep this thread updated with how you get on.

0 Ratings