Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
mkd321
Beginner
Message 1 of 9

Upgrade from ADSL to Inifinity re-enabled BT Wifi FON and cannot opt out

So today after an upgrade to newly available Infinity in our area I find the new HH6 is broadcasting BTWifi-with-FON and BTWifi-X on both 2.4 and 5Ghz channels!    

I don't want this sharing nor the interference with my existing Wifi system (4 Ubiquiti APs), however I cannot use the old opt out web page as my primary ID isn't a BT internet email and on MyBT when I try the opt our page it says "Sorry, we have been unable to opt you out of BT Wi-fi. Please try again."

I spent over 2 hours on the phone today with the BT Wifi support and they had no idea of what I was talking about and kept suggesting I set a new WiFi password or just disable it which only affects the private WiFi.

So can one of the moderators here please help me to opt out of BT WiFi again?

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9

Re: Upgrade from ADSL to Inifinity re-enabled BT Wifi FON and cannot opt out

Hi @mkd321 and welcome.

I'm sorry you're having problems opting out, I'm sure I can help with this. Send me over the details using the contact link in my profile. I'll submit the request for you. Once that's done it will take up to 28 days to complete.

Cheers

David

Community ModeratorDaveM
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”
Please avoid contacting us (moderators) via private message, for account/fault issues, unless invited to do so. The community will be able to help answer your question so we encourage you to create a new thread if you can’t find the answer from existing discussions. The moderators will be around to lend a hand should the community not have the answers. Thank You
0 Ratings
mkd321
Beginner
Message 3 of 9

Hi @DavidM 

I cannot see a link in your profile and the contact me section is blank.

I am logged into the forum so where do I find the contact link?

Thanks.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 9

My mistake @mkd321 Smiley Embarassed. Can you try again?

Cheers

David

Community ModeratorDaveM
Show your appreciation!
Kudos”
Please avoid contacting us (moderators) via private message, for account/fault issues, unless invited to do so. The community will be able to help answer your question so we encourage you to create a new thread if you can’t find the answer from existing discussions. The moderators will be around to lend a hand should the community not have the answers. Thank You
0 Ratings
mkd321
Beginner
Message 5 of 9

Thanks, sent a message.

I've only got about 4 days in which to cancel the upgraded service so I hope this can be done in time or I'll have to cancel as the whole order process, hub delivery (had to re-order as Royal Mail never received first one) and issues since have cost me 5 hours on the phone already.

I know I could buy another router but I already have an expensive WiFi infrastructure and just wanted to plug this in as I did with the HH4 on standard broadband (tried the HH4 and it won't work on the new service for some reason even though I thought it should do both ADSL/VDSL).

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 9

HH4 is ADSL only. BTwifi is a network thing anyway, not device specific. I.e putting the HH4 back won't help. Using a third party router is a guaranteed method of disabling BTwifi.

0 Ratings
mkd321
Beginner
Message 7 of 9

Thanks for the info on the HH4.

I thought it did as this page suggested HH4 does do Inifinity but obviously not:

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/13744/~/can-i-use-any-hub-or-router-with-bt-infinity

The plan is to eventually replace the Smart Hub with a modem only as I already have a multi-wan router with fail over (Ubiquiti) using VM cable service but that project is a few months down the line and I am frustrated at a simple service upgrade wasting so much time.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 9

Openreach modems are plentiful and reasonably priced on the well known auction site.

The answer on that link is a bit disingenuous, it implies the earlier hubs have VDSL capability rather than having a WAN port that also needs a separate modem.

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 9

Hi All sorry about the information on the link is not accurate. I will request that this is updated.

Thanks

John

Community ModeratorJohnC
Show your appreciation!
Kudos”