cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
kingsuki86
Message 1 of 9

Using WiFi extenders with BT Ethernet Powerline Adapters?

Hi All,

I currently have BT Infinity Broadband and also have a set of BT Powerline Ethernet only adapters.

Because of problems with location, I would like to use a WIFI extender, which runs from the Powerline adapter, is this possible? In a bit more detail:

Room 1 Upstairs is where my homehub is located. There is a powerline adapter via ethernet connected.

Room 2 Downstairs, the second powerline ethernet adapter which I use for my Macbook

What I would like is to use a WIFI extender in Room 2 downstairs so I can get WIFI there (it's a blackspot heading all the way through to my kitchen).

Thanks in advance!

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 9

Re: Using WiFi extenders with BT Ethernet Powerline Adapters?

The best option is to use a proper wireless access point like the TP Link WA801ND, and plug this into the output of the powerline adapter.

If the adapter only has one Ethernet port, then connect a cheap Ethernet switch to it like the

TP-LINK TL-SF1005D Five Port 10/100 Mbps Unmanaged Desktop Switch

You will have to configure the WA801ND so that it has a static IP address like 192.168.1.16, but that is explained in the manual.

0 Ratings
kingsuki86
Message 3 of 9

Hi Keith,

Thanks for the speedy response!

I'm willing to give up the ethernet conenction for my MacBook and connect it to WiFi, so I could connect the TP Link WA801ND via the powerline adapter Ethernet cable to extend my Wifi?

Also just looking at the TP link reviews, they do not look great. Happy to hear any alternatives if there are any Smiley Happy

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 9

A bit long in the tooth now, but the Edimax 7228APn is a combined 5 port Ethernet switch and wireless AP. About £20 from amazon. Worked fine for me.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 9

I have a number of TP Link wireless access points, including the WA801ND and have not encoultered any issues. You need to bear in mind that it has many operating modes as well as an access point, so some revieiws may be related to other modes.

The basic setting is an access point with a single SSID which you can change. It has a couple of extenal aerials so that wireless performance is quite good.

You will have to follow the initial setup instructions as the default IP address is not on the same subnet as the home hub, but that it fairly easy once you connect a computer to it.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 9

@licquorice wrote:

A bit long in the tooth now, but the Edimax 7228APn is a combined 5 port Ethernet switch and wireless AP. About £20 from amazon. Worked fine for me.

That may be worth a try, as its probably simpler to setup.

0 Ratings
kingsuki86
Message 7 of 9

Thanks Keith,

If the instructions on the guide are OK, I will give this a go.

I'll try it this week and feedback, might be useful for others.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 9

@kingsuki86 wrote:

Thanks Keith,

If the instructions on the guide are OK, I will give this a go.

I'll try it this week and feedback, might be useful for others.

If you are talking about the TP Link?

It has a setup wizard which you can see once you plug it into a computer and go to 192.168.0.254, notice the "0".

Follow the setup for access point then finally change the IP address on the last step, to 192.168.1.16, notice the "1".

Remember to set the wireless password, and make a note of it.

Once it has been changed and has restarted, you can then plug it into the powerline adapter.

You should see the TP_Link SSID on your list of wireless networks, and you should be able to connect, once you enter the wireless password.

You can change its settings if you want to, by entering the new IP address into a web browser.

http://www.tp-link.com/resources/document/TL-WA801ND_V2_User_Guide.pdf

As for the Edimax, you would have to look at the manual.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 9

Edimax manual can be found here  There is a setup wizard for Windows but I belive if you set it up using a MAC you will have to do it manually. Either way it is pretty straightforward, there are diagrams that show the various modes of operation.

0 Ratings