cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
ChrisOz
Message 1 of 9

Using same SSID on new Wi-Fi Home Hotspot 500 Add-on as used on BT Homehub

I've just bought a new Wi-Fi Home Hotspot 500 Add-on. ie http://connectedhome.bt.com/product/wifi-home-hotspot-500-addon-powerline-adapter/

I already have a BT Broadband Extender 500 Flex Kit, which the Home Hotspot 500 Add-on is compatible with (http://connectedhome.bt.com/product/broadband-extender-500-flex-powerline-adapter/).

I assumed that it would automatically replicate the SSID from my Homehub, meaning that I'd continue to just have one wifi network/SSID.

But by default the Wi-Fi Home Hotspot 500 Add-on has a new SSID set-up, meaning that I currently have two wifi networks in the house.

I have read (in an Amazon product review) that it is possible for the Wi-Fi Home Hotspot 500 Add-on to sync with the Homehub (using WPS) and to pick up the same SSID, so that there's just one wifi network in the house, but so far I've not been able to get that to work.

Is there a way to do this? ie to get the Home Hotspot 500 Add-on to use the same SSID as the Homehub.

Seems bizarre if it can't work like this (ie like a wifi extender - there are various extenders that BT offers too: http://connectedhome.bt.com/category/wifi-connections/).

Edit: the support guide for the Home Hotspot 500 Add-on is here: http://btsupport.custhelp.com/app/answers/list/c/6555

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 9

Re: Using same SSID on new Wi-Fi Home Hotspot 500 Add-on as used on BT Homehub

If you read through the link you posted

"the support guide for the Home Hotspot 500 Add-on is here": http://btsupport.custhelp.com/app/answers/list/c/6​555

and look at the question about changing the settings and SSid

How can I change the settings of my Wi-Fi Home Hotspot 500/600?

How can I change the wireless network name (SSID) and wireless key of my Wi-Fi Home Hotspot

You should be able to change it to have the same SSid and password as your present network.

0 Ratings
ChrisOz
Message 3 of 9

Thanks gg30340.

Yep, I did see that. But the fact that it isn't explicitly stated that the same SSID/password used by the Homehub can be used by the Wi-Fi Home Hotspot, I wasn't sure if this would actually work, or if it's the best way to do it.

Particularly after seeing the comment from the Amazon review that the Wi-Fi Home Hotspot can pick up/use the Homehub SSID/settings automatically:

"If your router is equipped with WPS, then the WiFi hot spot will automatically clone the router's name (SSID) and password so you do not need to reconfigure the WiFi connection on any of the devices you are already using with your router's WIFI. This is a nice feature, but also works fine with the default SSID and password - just means that you have to connect to a different WiFi hotspot when you are out of range of the router. Since most devices can remember multiple WiFi connections, this only requires entering the credentials once for each iPod, iPad, computer, etc, that you own."

If this is possible to do, I'm just confused why BT wouldn't clearly state this, as presumably this is something that most existing Homehub users would want to do.

Edited to remove Amazon link, and replaced with extract from the Amazon product review that was referenced

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 9

You will need to remove the link to Amazon. Links to e-commerce sites are not allowed on the forum.

I don't know why BT would not include that in their info but I suppose most folk that know about networks would do it manually and would probably do it intuitively while most who don't know anything about networks would use WPS and wouldn't need that info.

I would advise against using WPS as it is not a very secure method of connecting devices.

If you find it doesn't work, and I don't see any reason why it wouldn't, you can just factory re-set the adaptor and it will restore everything.

ChrisOz
Message 5 of 9

A previous thread on this which mentions what you need to look out for if you are going to use the same SSID on the Wi-Fi Home Hotspot 500 Add-on as you have on your Homehub: https://community.bt.com/t5/Connected-Devices-Other/Can-I-have-same-SSID-on-HomeHub3-and-Home-Hotspo...
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 9

Just a personal preference, but I prefer each wireless device to have its own SSID, that way I know which one I am connected to.

0 Ratings
BEDDOW58
Message 7 of 9

You need to switch you wifi signal on your device, to the extender's SSID. You then then to type mybtdevice.home into your browser. This will prompt you for the admin password (for the extender). Do into wi-fi settings and copy your network name and password, then apply the changes.

Switch back to your hub wi-fi.

If you have any further problems, you may need to set the channel to match on the router (or hub) and your extender.

Enjoy!

@
0 Ratings
BEDDOW58
Message 8 of 9

You need to log your device onto the extender's wi-fi.

Type mybtdevice.home into your browser, enter the admin password for your extender.

Change the SSID and password to the exact same ones as your hub, ensure that the channels are both set to 6 (in your hub and extender). Apply the changes.

Reconnect to your hub wi-fi.

For further changes, go back to mybtdevice.home

Enjoy!

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 9

Useful advice, but you are replying to a 2 year old post.

0 Ratings