cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Robo125
Message 1 of 6

Virus Protect (McAfee) CPU usage excessive, PC slowed to a halt

McAfee on start up takes as much as 90% CPU usage. Have uninstalled and reinstalled. Makes the PC unusable. PC is a Windows 10 Version 1709 HP Intel i5, only about 18 months old. Have disabled Windows Defender.  Still doing the same. Anyone know how to fix this?

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 6

Re: Virus Protect (McAfee) CPU usage excessive, PC slowed to a halt

use a different virus checker - something like avast free  there are many other free checkers

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Robo125
Message 3 of 6

Thanks, I think this is probably the correct thing to do. I checked the McAfee support site and it seems to be a known problem that McAfee have done nothing to rectify. Would think BT might just have some leverage with them and if not they should stop promulgating their defective product.
0 Ratings
Robo125
Message 4 of 6

Have now found out McAfee promised a patch two weeks ago. Where is it? If a BT moderator is looking at this thread, please advise where you are with McAfee on this.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 6

My advice and that of others on the forum would be to uninstall BT/McAfee antivirus. It can cause problems on some computers and as you have found is a resource hog. Do a search of the forum to see the problems.

You are always just an "update" away from it causing some other problem.

There are far better free antivirus programs available such as Avast Free and AVG Free.

If you do want to uninstall BT/McAfee use this guide and make sure you use the BT/McAfee removal tool after you have restarted your computer.

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/13523

Robo125
Message 6 of 6

Thank you Distinguished Sage. I'll follow your advice. Why BT continues with McAfee is a mystery.

0 Ratings