Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 1 of 5

Virus Protect

Go to solution

I ran Malwarebytes (out of curiosity) and it flagged up browser and adware hijackers that BTVP failed to pick up. I spoke to BT who told me to speak to McAfee who (eventually) told me that BT had told them not to offer support to their customers, and that there was a dedicated McAfee team within BT to resolve such issues. I have been passed back and forth 4 times now. I am totally disgusted with the misinformation from BT (if what McAfee is telling me is correct!!) has anyone else had such problems with being passed around departments? 

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 5

Re: Virus Protect

Go to solution

It is not unknown for different Antivirus/malware products to find or miss things that another product has missed or found. If you check out reviews of Antivirus/malware products none of them are 100% full proof. 

Are you sure that the items that Malwarebytes found were actually malicious?  Did you do an Internet search to see what the item getting flagged as a hijackers actually were?

It may be that Malwarebytes have classed an item as adware or a browser hijacker when in fact it is not. This can happen when for instance you have an add on in your browser that is there legitimately installed by you but because of what the add on does Malwarebytes classes it as a browser hijacker. This is known as a "false positive"

Having said that, I personally think that McAfee is not the best product on the market and I would not have it on any of my devices. It is usually only one update away from another problem.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 3 of 5

Go to solution

Thank you for a sensible reply - a great pity that BT couldn't have been so constructive over the last couple of weeks!! Malwarebyte's report ran to a couple of hundred lines, and included references to Vosteran and Astromenda, as well as Mindspark and Spigot. I understand that no VP can ever be 100% because they are always playing "catch-up" to the bad people, so I'd appreciate your suggestions on what to use instead (suggestions only - not recommendations!) if you are comfortable to do that, please?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 5

Go to solution

I use a combination.

On the computer that I mainly use I have the paid version of Malwarebytes and the free version of Avast. They can be used together without any compatibility problems such as you would find if you tried to run to AV products. I have found between the two of them they offer all the protection that I need and I have no problems with either of them

On another computer I use the in built Microsoft Windows Defender, which is now getting good reviews, and the free version of Malwarebytes which I run once a week. Again I have no problem with either.

If you do decide to remove McAfee make sure that you run the McAfee removal tool after you have uninstalled McAfee. You have to restart your computer after running it.

MCPR tool 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 5 of 5

Go to solution

Appreciate your advice. Thanks

0 Ratings