cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 5

Web Protect activated by BT - why?

Go to solution

I was very surprised to get an email from BT yesterday, saying "We've activated BT Web Protect" - I certainly did not ask for it to be activated, and I have never had it activated in the six years I have been a BT customer.

I was a little upset as I had spent two hours trying to get OneDrive to work - as soon as I saw the email and turned off Web Protect, OneDrive started working again.

Does anyone know why Web Protect should suddenly be activated like this?

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5

Re: Web Protect activated by BT - why?

Go to solution

This is an initiative that BT is currently deploying.  They are turning on Web protect for customers with the aim of protecting customer against the ever-rising threat of scams.  This has been ongoing for a while now and is done in batches. This is being done even if you have previously not activated it. 

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 5

Go to solution

@MCGrantwrote:

Does anyone know why Web Protect should suddenly be activated like this?

Sadly with the Covid pandemic there has been a huge increase in the scum of the earth scamming folk, from texts saying there's a parcel to fake Govt warnings via email, spoofing sites, more people are working from home so more people are falling victim, It's a good thing to see BT and others being proactive.

Personally after mine was reactivated I also switched it off, it was simple enough to do but understand the good intention behind it, I made the decison to disable it.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 5

Go to solution
That makes sense. Still, I'm surprised that it's still causing issues with OneDrive.
0 Ratings
Message 5 of 5

Go to solution

The supplied text: 

BT Web Protect helps protect you from viruses, scams and phishing attacks by warning you if you're about to visit a potentially harmful website. Once you've set it up, BT Web Protect will warn you before you visit a suspicious website, on any of your devices connected to BT Broadband. This will help to keep you safe while browsing online. It also works when you're out and about on any of our five million UK BT Wi-fi hotspots.

Implies you need to do something, yet it also says elsewhere, its done for you...

Doesn't anyone proof read anymore....

0 Ratings