cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 1 of 5

WebAddressHelp SelfCare can't retrieve preferences, so I can't disable WebAddressHelp to use a VPN

Hi Folks,

For some reason my original post was deleted...

WebAddressHelp SelfCare says "we've not been able to check your Web Address Help preferences".

So I can't turn off WebAddressHelp, which is preventing me using a VPN to log into work.

I tried Licquorices suggestion of switching the router off for a half hour, to get a new IP address and retry the SelfCare page, but to no avail.

0800800150 couldn't help, so I'm left unable to work remotely (forced due to Covid19 precautions).

Please can anyone help?

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 5

Re: WebAddressHelp SelfCare can't retrieve preferences, so I can't disable WebAddressHelp to use a V

@Anonymous 

I do not think BT are using that any more.

If you enter a non-existent web address, do you get directed to a BT Help page, or do you get a message to say the site cannot be found?

You must try this with the VPN switched off.

Its more likely that its BT Web Protect which is stopping your VPN. That can be disabled via MyBT.

0 Ratings
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 3 of 5

Re: WebAddressHelp SelfCare can't retrieve preferences, so I can't disable WebAddressHelp to use a V

Thanks Keith,

I'm not getting a BT Help page, just a "Server not found" so I guess Web Address Help isn't the issue!

I checked in MyBT and all of the addition services (including BT Web Protect) are turned off.

0 Ratings
NeilO
Message 4 of 5

@Anonymous, welcome to the community and thanks for posting. Please make sure that you've disconnected your VPN before trying to opt-out of Web Address Help.

0 Ratings
Steve_M
BT TV Expert
Message 5 of 5

BT no longer have the “Web Address Help” function within the network but as you’ve seen, there are some redundant settings pages etc that need to be cleaned up still. 

With regards to VPN issues - happy to help if you want to give details here or over private messages or email.

steve

0 Ratings