cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
robathomeuk
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 17

What happens with Cloud when I leave BT?

Go to solution

I shop around for DSL every year - the last couple BT have managed to persuade me to stay with various offers.

I now have double cloud storage but am loath to use it as I will probably move away from BT within a few years. Is Cloud accessible as an "ex-customer"?

0 Ratings
16 REPLIES 16
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 17

Re: What happens with Cloud when I leave BT?

Go to solution

No, you will lose access.

mrbrooks
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 17

Go to solution

I would not use it anyway, its rubbish, but someone I know asked me this same question, and I would have assumed you could still get a cloud subscription (cos that's what makes sense to me) but it appears possibly not, so I can only assume that BT are looking to get people 'invested' in the storage thing in the hope they are then reluctant to leave, which of course is in essence dirty marketing I suppose and is the norm these days.

I would suggest that if you need cloud storage take an offer from one of the big boys on the block, such a Google, Microsoft, Amazon, DropBox, pCloud, and various other options such as using the freebies from each of these vendors before paying for anything, if you need more space, they all have good deals on across the year, and you are sure to find something that suits your requirements and pockets.

This all means it is then irrelevant where you get your internet from and you are not invested or tied in to a sup-bar cheap fatty filler of a cloud solution that is hampering your choices.

Take a look at a few options here http://www.techadvisor.co.uk/test-centre/internet/best-cloud-storage-services-2017-3614269/

0 Ratings
robathomeuk
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 17

Go to solution

Indeed a cloud storage solution that means you need a particular ISP isn't a solution at all.
Already use dropbox and yahoo's impressive 1Tb of space on Flickr for my pictures.

0 Ratings
srpsrp
Expert
Message 5 of 17

Go to solution

it'll get deleted. BT even deleted my cloud files once when I renewed my contract with them !

0 Ratings
matmcv
Message 6 of 17

Go to solution

l'd like to see some evidence of BT's policy on this - we've got several people stating their opinion, but what's it based on? I've searched for an answer but to no avail. Does anyone know of a page that actually answers this question? Or can anyone copy an email sent from someone in BT that states the answer unequivocally?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 7 of 17

Go to solution

@matmcv If you cancel your BT Broadband service you will have 30 days from the broadband cease date to retrieve your data from the BT Cloud. After 30 days, the data is permanently deleted from our servers.

0 Ratings
DsnDave
Beginner
Message 8 of 17

Go to solution

Hi guys,

What is the best way to retrieve the data though? Literally just grab all the files out of the BT Cloud folder on my iMac or is that only saving a partial ammount of data etc? Sorry for the silly question just don't want to lose loads of pics!

Thanks

0 Ratings
srpsrp
Expert
Message 9 of 17

Go to solution
The idea is that it's a back up so in theory you should just need to make a new back up on you chosen cloud provider. If you have stuff only on any cloud service not just BT then you are braver than me. Even Google compresses down photos if you use the free storage option so your originals are not backed up unless you do it manually.
0 Ratings
robathomeuk
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 17

Go to solution

I see this thread has sprung back to life.

Daft to use BT's storage then forget about the cloud file when moving ISP, so won't ever be using it.

I am using Flickr for pictures (1Tb free, was owned by Yahoo, now owned by smugmug) - reliabilty factor about 9/10 for longevity and "freeness" imho.

For files/music I use external USB and google drive. Evilness factor 6/10 and growing. Freeness still 10/10 and if google ever disappear it's likely to be armageddon so I won't be much interested in my files, too busy avoiding zombies.

0 Ratings