cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Hughietb
Beginner
Message 1 of 12

Why has BT Virus protest blocked access to Paypal(23.198.86.70)?

Go to solution

Received an e-mail from Paypal this morning confirming a payment I had made. BT Virus protect promptly blocked the site telling me it's a dangerous IP address ? Why, when it appears to be a legitimate Paypal IP?

0 Ratings
11 REPLIES
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 12

Re: Why has BT Virus protest blocked access to Paypal(23.198.86.70)?

Go to solution

Did you click on a link in the email to go to the site or did you use a short cut or search for it your self.

If you used the link in the email, BTVirus Protect will have blocked the site because the IP address is not secure and it does not appear to be a Paypal address.

It shows as being used by Akamai Technologies in Amsterdam, Holland.

0 Ratings
Hughietb
Beginner
Message 3 of 12

Go to solution

Thanks for the reply. I believe Akamai  provide the Web servers for Paypal. Since the IP was blocked I cannot access Paypal at all. Even the HTTPS  web address(https://www.paypal.com/uk/signin) is blocked as unsecure.  Strange?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 12

Go to solution

If you are 100% happy that it was a genuine email and that your are accessing a genuine site you may be able to add the IP address into a safe sender or ignore list on BTVirus Protect but I can not advise how or even if that is possible on BTVirus Protect because I don't use the product. 

0 Ratings
Hughietb
Beginner
Message 5 of 12

Go to solution

Hmmmm. Seems to have resolved itself now.  Thanks again for your time and advice.

0 Ratings
nemu
Contributor
Message 6 of 12

Go to solution

my BT VIRUS popped up saying it had blocked 23.198.86.70 this morning ( dont know why  I wasnt trying to access paypal)

after enquiring as to who this ip address is I came across this thread which is linking it to PAYPAL 

tried  www.paypal.com and connection fails  !

I have checked my Mcafee settings and under NETGUARD I can see that it is blocking 23.19.86.70   and I CANNOT GET TO WWW.PAYPAL.COM       

If I turn netguard off I can connect to www.paypal.com  website ok 

turn NETGUARD back on and paypal website inaccessable again 

so WHY IS MCAFEE NETGUARD BLOCKING PAYPAL ????

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 12

Go to solution

@nemu wrote:

so WHY IS MCAFEE NETGUARD BLOCKING PAYPAL ????

Ty asking on the McAfee forum. You may get an answer there.

nemu
Contributor
Message 8 of 12

BT Virus Protect : NET GUARD : blocking PAYPAL

Go to solution

Why is BT Virus Protect  : Net Guard blocking ip address 23.198.86.70   which appears to be WWW.PAYPAL.COM ?

see :-

https://community.bt.com/t5/Broadband-Extras-Apps-from-BT/Why-has-BT-Virus-protest-blocked-access-to...

0 Ratings
nemu
Contributor
Message 9 of 12

Go to solution

well perhaps I would if I could find it , tried to raise a new thread on BT Virus Protect but I don't get the option when posting a new discussion

ended up posting it on same

BT Community Broadband Broadband Extras & Apps from BT

And according to the following text which I have copied from the forum this is the correcrt place to discuss a BT Virus Protect issue :-

Broadband Extras & Apps from BT

If you have a question about any of BT’s broadband extras i.e., BT Cloud, BT Virus Protect or our other security applications then this is the place to start a conversation. This is also the place to post if you have any questions about the numerous mobile apps BT offer, i.e., MyBT app, BT Mobile app or BT TV app etc.

0 Ratings
nemu
Contributor
Message 10 of 12

Go to solution

penny dropped !
raised thread on Mcafees forum

they checked and confirmed IP should be ok and to do up-date on Mcafee and try again

all worikng now after deleting Ip address from netguard

https://community.mcafee.com/t5/Personal-Firewall/BT-Virus-Protect-NET-Guard-blocking-www-PAYPAL-COM...

0 Ratings