cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
juddster27
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 4

Windows Update fails with Parental Controls switched on

About 6 weeks ago, I noticed my 3 x Windows 10 devices at home had not received any windows update hotfixes for about 3 months.  I took my laptop to another house (where they had Plusnet) and windows update worked successfully first time.

Brought the laptop home, all my devices still not getting Windows updates.  Turn off BT Parental Controls and I get Windows update on all 3 devices, turn it back on and I simply get this error message.

"We couldn’t connect to the update service. We’ll try again later, or you can check now. If it still doesn’t work, make sure that you’re connected to the Internet."

What do I need to amend on BT Parental Controls to get Windows Update working automatically?  I have had Parental Controls turned on for well over a year so don't know why it suddenly started blocking Windows updates approx 3 months ago?

Thanks,

Chris

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
juddster27
Aspiring Contributor
Message 2 of 4

Re: Windows Update fails with Parental Controls switched on

Any ideas anyone, this is still an issue for me.

Thanks

0 Ratings
minsterman
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 4

Hi,

Sorry I cannot help you, but I have exactly the same problem.

Windows Update only works if BT Parental Controls are switched off. I don't know what the solution is (other than to temporary disable Parental Controls whilst checking and installing updates) but it only seemed to start occurring in the middle of last month.

Anyone any ideas how to solve this without switching Parental Controls off and on again?

Many thanks.

Just a further update, it only affects my laptop running Windows 10, my other laptop running Windows 7 updates normally with Parental Controls switched on. Also with Parental Controls on, I cannot access the 'One Drive' feature.

Thanks

0 Ratings
juddster27
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 4

Not sure when, but around December time, this seemed to "fix itself" for me.

0 Ratings