Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Uppy
Contributor
Message 81 of 123

Re: Your free boost is ready to open

Go to solution

So the latest from ime s that having been told by BT Support that my 2x boost (from 100GB to 200GB) would not actually be implemented until January 2018, when I looked today I saw that my cloud storage has now been increased to 1TB - so a 10x boost.  Lets hope it stays that way

0 Ratings
old_email
Aspiring Expert
Message 82 of 123

Go to solution

@Remospadaccini wrote:

Just got this email as well. Can't tell if it's real or fake because it has the ecomm thing on it. it says that it will upgrade my speed to the 76mbs and double cloud storage. would be awesome if it did actually boost me to that speed.

Totally agree that this is an appalling way to contact customers.  It has all the elements of a phishing email.  Advice that the From address is valid is wrong - any From address can be spoofed. 

On top of the recent news that all BT/Yahoo accounts were hacked several years ago and the constant warnings NOT to click on links that look suspicious (my email client blocked optiextension.dll as rightly it should) this is a poor way of educating customers.  Don't sales and marketing get any security training.

All that is needed is to send an email explaining what is being done and ask people (without linking) to look at their account on-line. 

And want to complain - well the complaints page just goes around in circles and an on-line chat will just bring up some droid who will go through the script and the motions.

I've bounced mine to BT's phishing team, hopefully they'll understand what's wrong with the sales' guys' approach.

0 Ratings
mm2
Contributor
Message 83 of 123

Go to solution

totally agree about on-line chat/'droid/script etc, same goes for phone 'support'

I also bounced mine to the phishing team who eventually said the mail was genuine, although 'support' continued to insist it was a scam and have never backed down from that

I've taken the time to write a detailed letter with screen shots pasted in, and posted it to BT's Customer Care Manager, the address is in the 'contact us' stuff

my letter covers three different complaint areas including the dodgy-looking 'boost' e-mail campaign, it takes a bit of work but less time than trying to explain to the 'droids

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Andyvr
Aspiring Contributor
Message 84 of 123

Go to solution

@old_email if you click the help button top of page and click 'make a complaint' you can explain your problems in text and await a call back from them (I missed my callback today but can text them an appropriate time for them to call back again).

0 Ratings
zen419
Message 85 of 123

Go to solution

> If you click on the email address header on the top of the email it should show that it has come from a bt.com email address

I had a similar query. However, I must disagree with the moderator's advice on this. Email addresses can be spoofed, so a visual check on the sender's email address is NOT SAFE.

I used BT's online chat for advice initially, but they seemed to be unaware of any such offer. This only proved that the agent had insufficient information from BT Marketing. It didn't help me decide whether my email is genuine or not.

Examining the email...

- the fact that my email address is quoted correctly but incompletely (using '*' to fill in the blanks) proves absolutely nothing. I don't understand why BT thinks this adds authenticity to any message (they do this on genuine messages)

- the fact that my first name is quoted correctly also proves nothing (it can be deduced from my email address)

- the fact that 4 digits from my account number are correct suggests it is genuine

- the fact that I have to click on a something to accept the offer is suspicious

- the fact that the email was sent from Belgium (IP: 37.148.183.200) suggests it isn't genuine. This fact was enough for the online chat agent to be persuaded that the email was fake, but I've already established that the agents don't have all the facts at their fingertips (they are unaware that there is a genuine offer being rolled out)

I'm inclined to think that this is a genuine email cunningly disguised to look like a scam. But I'd appreciate an authoratative answer to the question of whether genuine BT emails do in fact originate from Belgium.

0 Ratings
Remospadaccini
Aspiring Contributor
Message 86 of 123

Go to solution
How far are you away from the cabinet? By the sounds of it your line can't support good speeds anyway and if that's the case then it won't matter what isp you switch to you'll get the same
0 Ratings
Andyvr
Aspiring Contributor
Message 87 of 123

Go to solution

Have just this minuite spoken to Shradha at BT who insists the cloud upgrade will be on Jan 7th 2018 - So why did I get emails saying it was ready to use?..... Sorry it was a technical glitch and we've had lots of customers complaining, the 'ready to use' emails should not have been sent out!

So why have some customers got the upgrade?..... It's not official until Jan 7th.

0 Ratings
peteros
Aspiring Contributor
Message 88 of 123

Go to solution

Hi NeilO, you have said the "Free Boost" is a current promotion, but what does it actually do? The format of the email is very like the daily spam/scams coming in, and I cannot find anything on the legit BT website to explain the "Free Boost". Some more detail would help, thanks.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 89 of 123

Go to solution

Basically if you are on Infinity 1 and your line can support speeds above 55Mbps you will get any further speed that your line can support up to 80Mbps.

If it can not support above 55Mbps you will not get any speed boost but you will get some extra Cloud storage on BTCloud.

If you are on Infinity 2 you will get extra cloud storage on BTCloud.

If you read through the thread you will get more information.

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/56165/c/346

0 Ratings
peteros
Aspiring Contributor
Message 90 of 123

Go to solution

Thanks gg303, do you know if it applies to Unlimited BroadBand as well as Infinity?

0 Ratings