cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
johnpd
Contributor
Message 1 of 7

automatic opt in of bt fon

just had my internet upgraded and noticed that i was automatically opted-in for bt fon. this was not mentioned when the upgrade was offered. but as i cannot log in to the bt fon site (for some reason i was never able to - would not recognise my passoword or email address which is a seperate issue).

i therefore had no option to call bt support to get it turned off. the first person i spoke to had no idea what he was taking about but eventually i was put through to someone who did. i was then informed that it would take up to 28 days for them to switch it off!!???

amazing!!!! why A) so long to switch something off i never asked for and B) why cannot something like this be controlled from the router???? not really good enough BT - given the fact you opted me into a service which i didn't ask for and cannot use myself as i don't have a valid username and password recognised by your system!!!!

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7

Re: automatic opt in of bt fon

You need as you say, your primary username and password.

Password change can be started by phoning the help desk. They may set is as something simple [temporary as say 123456]. If you strike lucky, and asnwer the security questions to India, they may well tell you or have posted to you your username.

The info should be on the e-mail you had when first joining btw.

If you draw a blank with that, contact the mod team, and they will be able to move this forward for you.

AQ.
"Welcome to Royston Vasey - You'll never leave."

0 Ratings
WatchdogTS
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 7

not really good enough BT - given the fact you opted me into a service which i didn't ask for

I think this is mentioned in the terms and conditions you agreed to, since 2009 people have been opted in, you can easily opt out by logging in to FON.

0 Ratings
jimmehr
Aspiring Expert
Message 4 of 7

@WatchdogTS wrote:

not really good enough BT - given the fact you opted me into a service which i didn't ask for

I think this is mentioned in the terms and conditions you agreed to, since 2009 people have been opted in, you can easily opt out by logging in to FON.

It also clearly states it on the email you get when you order broadband from BT that you are automatically opted in for FON.

0 Ratings
johnpd
Contributor
Message 5 of 7

thanks for the advice telling me to log onto fon to turn it off, but as you can see this is not an option as it does not accept any login details i used for the order and i carefully noted all passwords and emails. i can log in to the email but not fon. looking at some of the posts i am not the only one this has happened to. if bt opt you in to a servive such as this they should make sure you can at least use it yourself.

nice little earner for bt i suppose, get all their new customers to pay for broadband then sell off bits of it to any passerby that wants to use your connection - yes you can pay to use it as i tried to log into my own btfon but as i couldn't it offered the choice to pay.

0 Ratings
johnpd
Contributor
Message 6 of 7

update - it now seems to be turned off 🙂

i am impressed by at least the service you get when you phone about a problem - well done bt for that. not quite sure why they said iit could take 28 days though when it was done the next day.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 7

from other posts on the same subject it can take up to 28 days - you were lucky it happened so quick

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings