cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 4

email ID for using BT Wifi hotspots

We have our account set up with a non- BT email ID "namewhoever@gmail.com" and use this to log into BT account on laptop (& for this) etc etc, see bills, change service etc. 

& p/w working.

However using my sister's bt email/password I can get in. (i.e. the app works, the hotspots work etc))-.

Yees, checked very carefully spellings, tried in various locations et etc

Do I HaVE to register for an email ID I don't need ??

Best regards & Thanks in advance

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 4

Re: email ID for using BT Wifi hotspots

This is the theory http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/41199/kw/btwifi/

In practice, it seems to be a complete mess and nobody knows how it works!!

0 Ratings
Highlighted
michaelkenward
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 4

@licquorice wrote:

In practice, it seems to be a complete mess and nobody knows how it works!!

Oh so true, as ever.

I recently ended up locked out of mobile wifi thanks to the hops I had to jump through to get the BT Cloud to work. (I have two lines with Infinity on them, which threw the new system into a tizzy.)

That the link posted here offers "before and after" scenarios, and more, is a sure sign that BT doesn't have a clue. It should not be beyond the wit of its programmers to come up with a system that does not force such a complicated regime on customers.

Oh, I forgot, we are here for BT's benefit, not the other way round.

@If you do have problems getting in, it might be worth linking your BT account to an email address @btinternet

These days it isn't difficult to force strange accounts to communicate with your preferred email address. Bit of a faff, but that is often the only way to make BT's system do what you want.

0 Ratings
JoeeeeeeR
Aspiring Expert
Message 4 of 4

Hi,

I have the same setup as you - I've found that both my 'BTID' (my @gmail.com email address, which i use to log in to BT Sport and BT Cloud) and some secondary @btinternet.com email addresses work on BT WiFi.

As a useful test, try seeing if your gmail email address lets you log into BT Sport / BT Cloud. If it does, that suggests to me that there's a problem unique to WiFI, which you should probably contact BT about. If it doesn't work then it suggests that your gmail email address isn't set up as your primary BT ID, in which case I think you can change this in MyBT.

0 Ratings