Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
carregwen
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 4

managing security settings on BT wifi using Infinity

Go to solution

I have BT infinity fibre into the house with a BTHub6. I use Firefox on my PC and on Android phone.

Using my.bt.com I have gone into 'manage security settings' to make the following setup

Capture1.JPGCapture2.JPG

The problem is my wife wants access to some of the blocked websites (mostly news sites) and I do not. There doesn't seem to be a way to selectively apply such settings to specific devices, even though the hub knows about all the devices connected to the hub. I know you can go into access control and set access times for specific devices, but I don't want to do that. I want to restrict the security settings for specific devices and not others 24/7. Is there a way to do this please?

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 4

Re: managing security settings on BT wifi using Infinity

Go to solution

@carregwen 

That is not possible, as settings are applied at network level, and affect all connected devices. The home hub settings are totally separate.

Some third party routers have this ability, but not the BT home hubs,

0 Ratings
carregwen
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 4

Go to solution

OK, Keith. I thought as much. So if I had two children aged say 10 and I wanted to give them access for most of the day but wanted to restrict them looking at certain sites that I didn't want blocked on my device how would I do that? How do parents do it (I'm not a parent)? Do they have to try out those rubbishy add-ons on Firefox which never seem to work too well? Is there another way to do it?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 4

Go to solution

I think you can set a "homework" time, where access is restricted, but that would affect all devices.

As I have mentioned, the only other way is to do it within your own local network, normally using a router which has the ability to lookup web domains and apply blocks via firewall rules.

0 Ratings