Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
polish
Aspiring Expert
Message 1 of 16

mcafee pop up

Go to solution

Apologies if placed in wrong board

Hi though I have mcafee security with BT on my current 18month contract, this morning a pop up from saying from macafee at bottom right hand screen said you mcafee is about to run out it is easy to renew click here, which I did not do obviously, never had this before so wondered if anyone else had? many thanks Jules

0 Ratings
15 REPLIES 15
Techwizz
Aspiring Expert
Message 2 of 16

Re: mcafee pop up

Go to solution
Best way to fix this is to uninstall McAfee and use a combination of Windows Defender and Malwarebytes, or Avast/Bitdefender. McAfee is known to cause many issues, and it does more harm than good in most cases.
polish
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 16

Go to solution

thank you but never had this problem before, if it pops up again will ignore it as I know I have the security with my BT package

I just wanted to know if anyone else had had this issue before?  If someone could please reply

0 Ratings
Guru
Message 4 of 16

Go to solution

Many new computers come with free security pre-installed. Is it this that has expired?

Stew

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 16

Go to solution

try using the forum search facility as there are numerous posts about McAfee and hopefully your answer has been posted before

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
polish
Aspiring Expert
Message 6 of 16

Go to solution

Hi Stew M

No the computer is over 5 years old and did not come with any package, wondering if it was a scam?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 16

Go to solution

Have you tried the renew subscription checks

0 Ratings
polish
Aspiring Expert
Message 8 of 16

Go to solution

Thank you to all.  

0 Ratings
jgs43
Message 9 of 16

Go to solution

The same happened to me a couple of years ago and Imanaged to get it fixed by uninstalling the Virus protect then reinstalling it. This is not working this time round and I now have two computers sitting with McAfee disabled due to the subscription having supposedly expired.  If you try to reinstate the licence it redirects you to the McAfee site so I would suggest that someone at BT has updated the software lately but has installed the McAfee product instead of the BT software. I have raised this with both sales and BT complaints department as the technical help on this issue is beyond belief in that the technicians have no idea at all. I have been told that it is due to my BT contract being expired although it has 12 months to run; Alternatively I have been told that I have used both licences despite my account clearly showing both licences unused. BT technical help are a bunch of geeks sitting at their PCs and looking for an easy life- they do not want to help or understand the problem.

0 Ratings
jgs43
Message 10 of 16

Go to solution
Should have said that I have the same problem. Notices for the past month stating that the subscription would expire on 22nd October with the software being deactivated on that date.
0 Ratings