Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 11 of 16

Re: mcafee pop up

Go to solution

My advice and that of others on the forum would be to uninstall BTVirus protect. It can cause problems on some computers and is a resource hog and always seems to be one update away from more problems. Do a search of the forum to see the problems. There are far better free antivirus programs available such as Avast Free and AVG Free.

If you do want to uninstall BTNetprotect use this guide and make sure you use the BTVirusprotect/McAfee removal tool after you have restarted your computer.

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/13523

If you do want to keep BT Virusprotect and you have had a look at the link I posted earlier and it never helped have a look at this thread and the suggestion from the moderator to see if it helps.

https://community.bt.com/t5/Broadband-Extras-Apps-from-BT/MCcafee-says-it-will-expire-in-3-days/td-p...

Techwizz
Aspiring Expert
Message 12 of 16

Go to solution
+1 on Avast, don't use AVG.
0 Ratings
jgs43
Message 13 of 16

Go to solution

Well - I have followed the suggestions provided and still get the same result. The porocedures are basically the same as I had to undertake when virusprotect raised a similar "account deactivated" warning one or two years ago. On that pccasion it was possible to reatviate it. In this instance, however, the siftware downloads and instals with the Virus protect trying to restart. As soon as it has completed the instal it then immediately deactivates with the statement that the subscription has expired. Thuis despite two free accounts clearly beong shown as unused in my BT account. Any attempt to reactivate, refresh the account promptly opens a Mcafee log in page so there is a misdirect or a serious problem with the bt install. It does not recognise the two free subscriptions shown in my BT account.  This would appear to be a BT problem and BTtechnical help  are totally useless and appear totally unwilling to correctly analyse and rectify the problem. Indeen one technician actually suggest that Icontact McAfee as BT could do nothing about it. Nice when I have an account with BT but not with McAfee. Ican happily use another antivius software but this is not about that subject. This is an offering from BT which patently has a problem and they seem totally oblivious to providing any help or even recognising that a problem exists.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 14 of 16

Go to solution

Seems to me that BT are treating McAfee with the respect it deserves. None.

Beats me why they still have it on board.

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
Message 15 of 16

Go to solution

Sorry have only just realised that you had posted on this. I got this annoying nag popup bottom right of screen almost immediately I had installed the package I downloaded and believe it is something to do with the way website offering this to subscribers works?

I have simply ignored the message as each time and over the last 3 months it has only appeared about 3 times I have a look at the install version and see that it is running ok.

I believe when I was downloading I also noted a dual link to another download package on BT same site set up and I believe I had the option of downloading from the main link and this alternative option link has also been downloaded. 

I suppose most are ignoring this minor issue as it fades away after a minute or so and hopefully will not appear again for a 2-3 weeks or so?

I am not explaining this very well but hopefully you can see that we both appear to have the same issue.

0 Ratings
Message 16 of 16

Go to solution

As posted earlier I get a similar pop up but nothing about subs expiring or package renewal license - the  pop up comes up suggesting I download when the package is already installed and believe that it is an issue that BT cant be bothered to get Mcaf to fix 

The installed pack is definitely the BT version and it updates automatically so as the pop only appears every few weeks I ignore it but will take a snap of it next time as there is absolutely nothing to suggest that i have a subs or BT license issue.

0 Ratings