Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
polish
Aspiring Expert
Message 1 of 11

mcafee security

Go to solution

Hi I have mcafee security through my BT package on my PC and on my laptop, however i now have an android phone samsung, how do I put the mcafee onto it, it appears not to work when I try to download on my PC, any help much appreciated

0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
Liam_
Expert
Message 2 of 11

Re: mcafee security

Go to solution

Personally I would never use McAfee but on doing a search for 'mcafee security for android'  I saw it was available on Google Play.  It was the second link, headed:-

McAfee Mobile Security – Android Apps on Google Play

It had the word FREE in the description.  So you could have a look.

0 Ratings
polish
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 11

Go to solution

Thank you Liam, Mcafee comes with the BT package so thought I would use it, why would you not use Mcafee, that sounds worrying?

0 Ratings
Liam_
Expert
Message 4 of 11

Go to solution

It's a resource hog and has some other issues, there are better free ones like Avast, or ZoneAlarm.  I used ZoneAlarm years back and found it quite good as a firewall,  there is a version now with antivirus component.  The AV part is from Kaspersky so should be quite good.

I personally use Symantec Endpoint, it's not free though but has very low system overheads.

0 Ratings
polish
Aspiring Expert
Message 5 of 11

Go to solution

Hi Liam thank you, I went onto our bt account and managed to install the virus protect from there. I am not too tech savvy so not sure what you mean by low system overheads?

Up to press the macafee virus protect from BT has caused me no issues on my PC nor my laptop so hoping the same will apply to the android phone.

many thanks jules

0 Ratings
Liam_
Expert
Message 6 of 11

Go to solution

The 'overheads' or system resources apply to the amount of memory (RAM) and CPU cycles consumed by an application.   You can get a view of usage by looking at the Resource Monitor.

Access it by opening the Task Manager, go to the Performance Tab and select Resource Monitor from the bottom. ( A button in Windows 7 and a link in Windows 10.)

If you are happy with it and it's not causing trouble then leave things be.

0 Ratings
polish
Aspiring Expert
Message 7 of 11

Go to solution

Crikey have looked and now that is complicated, wouldn't know what is good and what is not?

0 Ratings
Liam_
Expert
Message 8 of 11

Go to solution

It's not really too difficult.  Windows 10 used for examples.  Just find the application name in the CPU list.  Symantec in the image in this case, select all of them with the 'tic box'.

CPU usage.png

Then when you look at the memory dropdown you see the selected items listed and the memory usage in KB.

Memory  usage.png

polish
Aspiring Expert
Message 9 of 11

Go to solution

thank you, ticked everything that said mcafee in the description in CPU then clicked on overview and memory and says 53% physical memory used, so I guess over halfway is a lot.

Thank you for your help but unless I have any issues maybe should stick with mcafee would you say?

0 Ratings
Liam_
Expert
Message 10 of 11

Go to solution

Unless things start slowing down noticeably you could just leave things as they are.