Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
uk_user_x
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 12

prevent bypassing BT Parental Controls

Go to solution

I have BT Home Hub 5 with BT Parental Controls enabled, is there a way to prevent bypassing BT Parental Controls?  

Without listing them here there are a number of ways to bypass BT Parental Controls and I'm hoping someone has already discovered a solution to prevent these typical methods that is free or relatively inexpensive, safe, and fairly straightforward to setup.  Any suggestions?

0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 12

Re: prevent bypassing BT Parental Controls

Go to solution

Have you tried the network based parental controls, they cannot be bypassed?

0 Ratings
uk_user_x
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 12

Go to solution
Hi and thanks, I checked My BT Parental Controls tile and it doesn't seem to have network based parental controls unless I missed it. There is McAfee BT NetProtect Plus but this is not practical for all devices. I checked here http://bt.custhelp.com/app/hub/c/346,6679 and didn't see network based parental controls.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 12

Go to solution
0 Ratings
uk_user_x
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 12

Go to solution
Any suggestions on how I could block VPN services, for example like the ones here: http://torrentfreak.com/which-vpn-services-take-your-anonymity-seriously-2014-edition-140315/2/ ?
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 12

Go to solution

I don't use BT Parental Controls but my understanding is that if you use the network ones it blocks VPNs.

Perhaps somebody who does use them will be better placed to answer this.

0 Ratings
uk_user_x
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 12

Go to solution

I'm still not sure how to block VPN services which allow bypassing of the BT Parental Controls.

Would setting up a proxy server help, how could I make that work with BT Broadband?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 12

Go to solution

@uk_user_x wrote:

I'm still not sure how to block VPN services which allow bypassing of the BT Parental Controls.

Add the web address of the VPN service, to the blocked sites list of BT Parental Controls.

uk_user_x
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 12

Go to solution

Thank you, so I found the login server name in the registry settings and added it to My Blocked websites, and I blocked another 5 possible urls.

Is there some way to do wildcard blocking, something like '*.domain.com'?

I would also need to block all amazonaws.com urls like this because I think these type of anonymous VPN services use AWS to host their login servers.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 12

Go to solution

I am not aware that you can use wildcards, however, blocking the domain name, should block any URLs.

Blocking amazonaws.com, should block all URLs containing that suffix. I use OpenDNS, and that is the way it works, so I assume that BT Parental controls operate in a similar way.

Bear in mind that amazonaws is used for things like the Kindle, and some other devices, so you may encounter some issues.