cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 7

repeatedly being asked to provide two factor authentication when trying to sign into BT Mail and hom

Trying to sort out BT cloud on my PC and now it looks like phone as well.

As a result when I try to log into my BT internet/BN Home i keep getting refereed to two factor authentication, as you can imagine this is a real pain. 

Other PC  and phone ok.
how can I stop this

Thanks

RTay

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7

Re: repeatedly being asked to provide two factor authentication when trying to sign into BT Mail and

Mark them as trusted devices.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 7

Re: repeatedly being asked to provide two factor authentication when trying to sign into BT Mail and

Hi @raymond1234 You can get more details on how to add trusted devices on this link.

Neil

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 7

The link you have given describes how to check and delete an existing Trusted Device. 

It does not describe how to add a new Trusted Device.

On:

https://www.bt.com/help/security/two-step-authentication

it says:

What are Trusted Devices? 

When you opt in to two-step authentication, a passcode will be sent to you via text or email each time you log into your online BT Identity. You need to enter this passcode to verify your identity.

You can however register your device as a Trusted Device which means you won't have to enter the passcode each time when using that device. 

To view or remove your Trusted Devices follow the below steps.

1. Go to the Your Details page

2. Select Two-step authentication

3. Select Edit two-step authentication settings

4. Select Your trusted devices

If you follow those instructions all you can do is view or remove your Trusted Devices: there is no obvious way to add a new one.

I have looked all over the Community and searched more generally on the web and can find only pointers back to this information.

It is not that I have reached the maximum number of (10) Trusted Devioces in my list: at present I have 7.

So how do you add a new Trusted Device?

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 7

If I remember correctly when you log on with a device and the 2FA activates you are then given the option to make that a trusted device.

Message 6 of 7

Presumably the same way you added the existing 7.

Message 7 of 7

Sadly it doesn't seem to work like that.

In my list of Trusted Devices, I have one that is my laptop using Firefox. 

There is no entry for the same laptop using a different browser.

On that laptop, I can log into BT email through Firefox without having to go through the 2FA hoop.

On the same laptop, if I log in through Chrome (or Chromium)  then I have to go through the 2FA passcode hoop but there is no point when I am asked or given the opportunity to register that login route as a trusted device.  

Until somebody can clearly and unambiguosly explain how to add a new Trusted Device, I am loath to remove my existing Trusted Device entry for my laptop using Firefox in the list because then I may find that I become stuck with having to go through the passcode hoop in either browser.

So my question stands: how do I add a new Trusted Device to my list?

0 Ratings