cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
chris1231
Beginner
Message 1 of 9

virus scan not working

I have McAfee through BT Virus Protect. The scan stops at 34% & hangs up the computer. I tried reinstalling it - no change. I had McAfee before using BT Virus Protect & it worked fine. I have Windows 7 OS. Can anyone help?

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9

Re: virus scan not working

Hi @chris1231 I'm sorry to see you're having problems with BT Virus Protect. Can you try running the McAfee Virtual Technician and let me know if that helps?

1. Go to https://service.macafee.com >
  2. Click Download and Run
  3. Click Next. You'll see a "File Download - Security Warning" box
  4. Click I Agree to accept the license agreement. The "Installing McAfee Virtual Technician" screen appears
  5. After the installation is complete, you can select a number of options before clicking Finish
Community ModeratorNeilO
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”Kudos”
0 Ratings
chris1231
Beginner
Message 3 of 9

I have tried downloading Mcafee technician 3x now. I get to open the file & run & then nothing happens. In the past this has downloaded correctly (before I was using BT Virus protect) but I did not keep it on my pc. 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
tickhill
Expert
Message 4 of 9

Sorry I am probably not supplying an answer but moreso asking a question - is the issue connected with your use of Windows 7 Operating system?

Have a read:  

http://home.bt.com/tech-gadgets/computing/windows-7/windows-7-support-end-11364081315419

0 Ratings
chris1231
Beginner
Message 5 of 9

I don't think it can be as, immediately before downloading Bt Virus Protect I was using McAfee. This was on contract direct from McAfee & my contract came to an end so, as I have a BT broadband contract, I decided to use McAfee via BT Virus Protect. It all worked fine before. I wonder if BT Virus Protect is not working correctly with Windows 7?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 9

Did you fully remove McAfee and use the McAfee removal tool and restart your computer before downloading BT Virus Protect?

If you did not do that it will cause a problem.

0 Ratings
tickhill
Expert
Message 7 of 9

The following link may help - Step 2 is as referred to immediately above

https://service.mcafee.com/webcenter/portal/oracle/webcenter/page/scopedMD/s55728c97_466d_4ddb_952d_...

I also subscribed direct to McAfee and when that expired transferred to the BT Version which was trouble free

I had some recent issues following a Windows Update which were odd - the McAfee Virtual Technician said it could not find any McAfee products to check even though the product was there.  I was concerned and with the help of BT was transferred to the BT McAfee team who came online and found an error which they corrected.

Maybe worth following that route with your problem - although the Moderator may be doing that for you if you have taken up the offer of direct contact as above.

0 Ratings
chris1231
Beginner
Message 8 of 9

Thanks for that - I cannot remember if I used the McAfee removal tool or just uninstalled it myself, so I will try that & reinstall.

0 Ratings
chris1231
Beginner
Message 9 of 9

Thanks for that info. I am going to try removing McAfee using the removal tool (I cannot remember if that is how I did it before) & then reinstalling. If that doesn't work I will be speaking to BT so hopefully they can correct any errors.

0 Ratings