Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
joeneeson
Beginner
Message 1 of 70

why cant i connect to bt fon

i'm running windows 7, i have joined the btfon network, i have tried in several locations but still i cant connect to the fon network. i have even sat next to my own hub to and still no connection. please help. i can connect to the fon network but no landing page and windows says limited or no internet connection

Tags (3)
0 Ratings
69 REPLIES 69
PheeragHfre
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 70

Re: why cant i connect to bt fon

The details from this link may help.

Quote:

I have connected to a Wi-Fi network, but cannot see the landing page?

The landing page should automatically be presented to you after you have successfully connected to the Wi-Fi network and launched your chosen browser.

If this does not load then you should type https://www.btopenzone.com:8443 into your browser. This will launch the landing page.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

How do I log in once I connect to the correct Wi-Fi network?

Once you are connected to the correct wi-fi network
Launch your browser. This should load the BT FON landing page automatically, if it does not,  enter https://www.btopenzone.com:8443 in the browser.

Select BT Total Broadband on the BT FON landing page.When prompted, simply enter your login username and password that you used to register to BT FON (i.e. your@btinternet.com e-mail address and password) and connect.

Leave the browser window minimised that you used to connect so that you can use it to simply disconnect at the end of your session.

Launch another browser and you are ready to access the Internet!How do I disconnect?

Simply go back to the BT FON landing page and press disconnect.

"I have this awful feeling someone is watching every move I make (one of my pet hates is router location tagging)." Marvin (A paranoid Android)
0 Ratings
joeneeson
Beginner
Message 3 of 70

nope. just tried that. still didnt work.

0 Ratings
Dr_Hamilton
Beginner
Message 4 of 70

MODERATOR!

NOONE HAS REPLIED OR SOLVED joeneeson's PROBLEM!

MANY OTHER CUSTOMERS, INCLUDING MYSELF HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM!

PLEASE RESPOND WITH A SOLUTION!!!  

IT SAYS THAT THERE IS LIMITED OR NO CONNECTIVITY, AND THAT AN IP ADDRESS CANNOT BE OBTAINED, AND HENCE THE BT FON LOGIN PAGE WILL NOT OPEN!

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 70

FON is an unsecured network, make sure that you do not have a password stored against the WiFi entry.

Its a common mistake to assume that you need your password to access the FON or Openzone WiFi connections.

E-mail name and password is only needed after you reach the landing page.

Putting a password on the WiFi entry WILL result in limited or no connectivity.
0 Ratings
Dr_Hamilton
Beginner
Message 6 of 70

I DO NOT have a password stored against the WiFi entry!!

When I am connected to the BT FON or Openzone network, the login webpage (https://www.btopenzone.com:8443) will not open DUE TO the limited or no connectivity on the networks!

WHAT MUST BE DONE TO OVERCOME THIS PROBLEM?

I EAGERLY AWAIT THE MODERATOR'S OR AN EMPLOYEE OF BT'S REPLY!!

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 70

I assume that you can connect to your normal home hub SSID? The only thing different between the hub SSID and FON/Openzone, is that FON?/Openzone uses a different IP range starting 10.xx.xx.xx, as opposed to 192.168.1.XX.

There could be an issue with your Windows firewall which is preventing a connection to addresses in that range.

I know that Windows 7 is quite fussy about how you categorise your wireless connections. i.e. whether they are private or public, especially as FON/Openzone is on a different subnet.

Trying to operate it on your normal Wifi, and then FON, may involve different configurations.
At a guess, your normal SSID would be classes as a Private Wifi network, and FON, a public network.

It is unlikely that BT, or a moderator could help with specific computer network problems. You are more likely to find the answer from a forum member.
0 Ratings
Moderator-Retired
Message 8 of 70

Hi Dr_Hamilton & joeneeson

If you are still having trouble logging into FON after reading through Kieths helpful post, drop me an email with your BT account and telephone number with a link back to this thread and I will be happy to have a closer look.

Please mark each email with your username and send to forum.moderation.team@bt.com

Cheers

Craig

BTCare Community Mod

If we have asked you to email us with your details, please make sure you are logged in to the forum, otherwise you will not be able to see our ‘Contact Us’ link within our profiles.

We are sorry but we are unable to deal with service/account queries via the private message(PM) function so please don't PM your account info, we need to deal with this via our email account :-)”
td-p/30">Ratings star on the left-hand side of the post.

If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Dr_Hamilton
Beginner
Message 9 of 70

Thanks Keith but I'm afraid I only require access to FON when not at home, hence I cannot access the settings of the particular hub when in need of a FON connection. 

Moreover, I have been able to access FON on a friend's laptop, at the same time as not being able to access it on mine . We both have ACERs with the E NET MANAGEMENT program. Although my wifi hardware is BROADCOM, whereas my friend's is INTEL PRO/WIRELESS 3945ABG 

The difference is that my friend's laptop obtains the IP ADDRESS and hence can log onto FON (the internet icon in the bottom right corner displays: ACCESS: LOCAL AND INTERNET), whereas on mine it says UNIDENTIFIED NETWORK (BT FON) and underneath ACCESS: LOCAL ACCESS ONLY, not obtaining the IP ADDRESS and not in turn not being able to open the login page.

I have tried the IPCONFIG /RELEASE and IPCONFIG /RENEW commands to no avail. The message was that the it was not possible to connect to the DHCP Server and it timed out.

0 Ratings
Dr_Hamilton
Beginner
Message 10 of 70

sometimes it says LIMITED OR NO CONNECTIVITY instead of LOCAL ACCESS ONLY but the result is still the same

0 Ratings