cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 11 of 70

Re: why cant i connect to bt fon

Because it is showing as unidentified, the firewall is probably blocking it.
You may need to create a new connection called FON, and identify it as a public WiFi connection. Windows should then adjust its firewall to allow connection.

You could prove whether it is a firewall problem by temporarily turning of the Windows firewall and see if you can connect.

0 Ratings
Dr_Hamilton
Beginner
Message 12 of 70

Already tried the firewall option - doesn't work!

I HAVE NOTICED NOW THAT ON MY FRIEND'S LAPTOP IT REVERTS BACK TO LIMITED OR NO CONNECTIVITY FROM A PROPER FULL INTERNET CONNECTION FOR NO APPARENT REASON!!

BT or MODERATOR, WHY DOES THIS HAPPEN?!?!

0 Ratings
AndyS
Message 13 of 70

Hi

Did you ever get a solution to this? I have same problem. My netbook with Windows 7 n wireless wont connect to bt fon at my home hub, but laptop with Vista b/g does. The netbook connects ok to the normal broadband. Firewall status makes no difference and internet connection settings on both machines are the same. If you have an answer or advice, please let me know

0 Ratings
joeneeson
Beginner
Message 14 of 70

no sorry i never resolved this problem. i eventually gave up and bought a O2 dongle. sorry i couldnt be of any help

0 Ratings
BlackAdder
Message 15 of 70

I spoke to BT Business support a couple of weeks ago as I was having the same problem connecting to my BT Openzone connection. They stated that you will receive the 'limited or no connectivity' message whenever there is an increased demand from the computers connected to the main SSID of the router. i.e. If there are several computers connected to the main 'encrypted' SSID and they are all online, then the router will not allow anyone else to connect via BT FON / Openzone as this may have a detrimental effect on the users of the main SSID. That's what I was told... Hope that helps.

Distinguished Guru
Message 16 of 70

@BlackAdder wrote:

I spoke to BT Business support a couple of weeks ago as I was having the same problem connecting to my BT Openzone connection. They stated that you will receive the 'limited or no connectivity' message whenever there is an increased demand from the computers connected to the main SSID of the router. i.e. If there are several computers connected to the main 'encrypted' SSID and they are all online, then the router will not allow anyone else to connect via BT FON / Openzone as this may have a detrimental effect on the users of the main SSID. That's what I was told... Hope that helps.

I too can confirm that this will happen. I spoke with a BT Openzone Helpdesk Analyst (after emailing Mr L directly) and I had a similar version. If you are able to connect to a BT Fon Hotspot and the hub owner starts to use their own connection, you will then slowly have your BT Fon connection reduced to nil. The reason is the hub owner has priority - simple as that.

-+-No longer a forum member-+-
0 Ratings
Lazza98
Beginner
Message 17 of 70

If this is true, it kinda defeats the object of BTFon. I tried 4 different connections in my neighbourhod, and all allowed me to connect but with no internet connectivity. However, I suspect that you have been fobbed off. I can connect to the BTfon attached to my broadband connection, but with no internet access, even though I have disconnected from my main broadband connection.

The whole idea of BT fon is to allocate part of your broadband bandwidth to the BTFon element, it doesn't matter if the host is using the main broadband connection heavilly, the BT Fon element is / should be ring-fenced.

What the 'expersts' at BT are saying I think is nonsense. It doesn't make sense, is not logical

0 Ratings
Highlighted
flash5620
Message 18 of 70

I had similar problems with my iPad it would connect OK to my Home Hub 2 but when I tried to connect it to the BTFON or BTOpenzone it connected but would not connect to the start page or the internet.

Investigation showed my iPad had been allocated a DCHP IP address begining with 169.254.***.*** which is a default local IP address.

I was able to successfully log onto my BTFON using my laptop and checked the IP details which were

IP 10.19.61.21

SUBNET MASK 255.255.255.248

Gateway 10.19.61.17

DNS 192.168.22.22, 192.168.22.23

I logged onto BTFON with my iPad and selected Static IP and entered the details

IP 10.19.61.22

SUBNET MASK 255.255.255.248

Gateway 10.19.61.17

DNS 192.168.22.22, 192.168.22.23

Then opened Safari which took me to the BTFON log on page. Ifound BTOpenzone was the only option that accepted my login details but I succesfully logged on and was able to use the internet

ZI trust thes details are of use to all who could not use their iPad with BTFON 😉

0 Ratings
gruff
Message 19 of 70

Hi everyone, have a solution but may not be available to everyone I'm afraid.

It happens when you have multiple hubs broadcasting on the same channel which defaults at 6 and therefore limits the bandwidth even if there is a strong signal. Its this connecting to the strong signal on bad channels that causes this problem.

If you have an android phone, download wifi-analyzer then look at the channel rating view .. the more stars the better the channel, where I am now 6 has no stars at all. In the Access Point list view you can see which bt fon hubs are broadcasting on which channel and the unique mac address of the hub.

Now if you have one of the Intel wireless adapters common in many laptops you may have an option to connect, got network sharing centre and click the view status link, in the dialog that opens up click wireless properties, if you have an option to enable intel connection settings and its not enable it and click configure, you should now have an option to click mandatory access point, enter the unique mac address from wifi analyzer in here, click ok through the dialogs, the adapter will automatically reset and viola you will have an ip and internet connectivity.

Sure many smart phones will also have similar applications or download one for pc before going out incase you run into problems. It may mean you have to connect to a weaker connection, but even at what was showing one bar on the phone is 3 bars on the computer. Your wireless adapter may also have an option to configure the power the wireless runs at, it'll be defaulted on medium you can also up this.

Hope this helps, sorry if bit technical and long winded.

Gruff 🙂

0 Ratings
gruff
Message 20 of 70

Update: For Atheros based network cards you can use the Lenovo ThinkVantage Accesss Connections software. When in advanced mode select details and you will be able to connect at the device level rather than the name. Windows will have tried the strongest signal automatically so try the next strongest with a different mac. Although it saves the network it doesn't look like windows pays attention to which device you had connected to so you manually have to initiate a connection in the thinkvantage software.

With the intel drivers setting the mandatory access point value doesn't effect connections when that access point isn't available so no need to clear it out and reset if you frequently go to a problem spot like me.
0 Ratings