cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 8

wifi app switching to moble data without telling me

My mobile phone bill suddenly got huge, saying I'm using lots of data. First problem turned out to be 3 quadrupling the cost of data (thanks) but the amount still made no real sense. I use the BT WiFi app on my phone - seems like a great idea getting access in so many places, but it seems that, without telling me, it's switching to mobile data when it can't find a hotspot and feeding that data through to apps on my browser.

I'm sure it didn't used to work that way - if I was out of range of a hotspot my apps would say that the network wasn't available. Has anyone else come across this?

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8

Re: wifi app switching to moble data without telling me

sounds more like a mobile phone setting needs changed and 'use wifi only' selected

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Message 3 of 8

Thanks, but I don;t think that's it. If we assume the BT app is set up as an internet connection, as far as the rest of the phone is concerned, it's connected to the internet, even if the BT app is actually connected to mobile data. To try this, I tried browsing in a location where there was no BT signal and the the BT app said it was using mobile data, chrome happily browsed the net. I agree, managing apps to stop them accessing mobile data is a pain, but the BT app is listed as using mobile data and it shouldn't be using any.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 8

It is a phone setting,  turn off mobile data. The BT wifi app can't connect to mobile data itself, it is just informing you that your connection is via mobile data rather than wifi. If you turn off mobile data on your phone settings, the app will say 'No Data Connection'

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 8

OK - mobile data is switched off for the whole phone but Chrome used 100mb over the last few days so something is amiss - will take BT wifi off and see what happens.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 8

It's nothing to do with the BT WiFi app

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 8

The iphone uses a very small mount of data even with cellular disabled. Not sure exactly why but I think it's to do with text settings, or perhaps VPN initial acquisition
However that very small amount, usually 2-3 mB, will not take much out of your allowance. 

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 8

"It's nothing to do with the BT WiFi app"

I think you're probably right, but I had got used to using it all over the place and never getting that 'no internet available' message which is kind of odd - I know the private broadband points are pretty numerous but not 100%.

Anyway - thanks for the suggestions everyone. I'm still in a position where, despite mobile data being switched off, a lot was actually being used. I'll be able to see if that continues now I've removed the BT app.

0 Ratings