Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Highlighted
gme
Aspiring Contributor
0 Ratings
Accepted Solution

BT Fon and BT WifiX opt-out

Hello - I'm opted out of BT FON and BT Wifi X but I've just dicovered that my status is active and my hub is still broadcasting a BT Fon and Wifi X signal. How can I get my hub to go non-active? I had this problem once before and finally did get it to go non-active, but then we moved and apparently the problem has started all over again. Many thanks!

Aspiring Expert
0 Ratings

Re: BT Fon and BT WifiX opt-out

I'm having the same problem too, I've got hub6 and opted out via BT fon web page within 48 hours it was switched off brilliant! About a week ago got the new 316 update so I did a factory reset after the update to make sure it was configured properly but unfortunately after doing so it reactivated BT wifi/fin do again went to the same web page https://www.bt.com/wifi/secure/index.do?s_cid=con_FURL_btfon it said I was opted out already but I opted out again which it said would be deactivated within 48 hours but it hasn't so after the 48 hours I did this again but yet again it is still active and won't switch off, I'm just wondering if the new 316 update is somehow blocking or not receiving the command to deactivate BT wifi ?
Aspiring Expert
0 Ratings

If Factory Reset is done then the hub will activate BT Fon since it is a default setting. To opt out again you may need to opt in first and then opt out, regardless to what the BT WiFi page says
Expert
0 Ratings

Something else that should be 'Opt In' instead of default.

gme
Aspiring Contributor
0 Ratings

After one useless chat and several phone calls to people at the tech help department who did not understand the problem even after I explained it several times, I finally got someone at that department who not only understood the problem, but discovered why I'm having it. The only problem is that he said that it can take up to 10 days for one department to do something in my account and then a further four weeks for the tech people to actually turn off the BT Wifi signal from my hub. Honestly, I do not understand why it will take over a month to do something that I ought to be able to do from my hub in 15 seconds. If anyone can tell me how to get rid of BT Wifi in a shorter time, all suggestions welcome. (I've already thought of switching to another provider, so that one's taken. Sorry! :-) )  Many thanks!

Distinguished Sage
0 Ratings

Its not just a question of turning off the signal on your hub, its also removing your account to enable you to connect to hotspots.

Expert
0 Ratings

Buy a third party VDSL router.  No more fon/wifix or whatever.

Distinguished Sage
0 Ratings

Liam_ wrote:

Something else that should be 'Opt In' instead of default.

It is default on as it is part of the contract and has been for many years  being able to turn it off at the hub would not stop the user being able to use the BT Wi-Fi when out and about 

john46 | BT.com Help Site | BT Service Status
Someone Solved Your Question?
Please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
Try a Search
See if someone in the community had the same problem and how they got it resolved.
Aspiring Expert
0 Ratings

@gme try my suggestion
gme
Aspiring Contributor
0 Ratings

A third-party router sounds like an excellent solution. Not being a tech person myself (degree in history - need I say more?), I assumed that if BT is my provider, I've got to use the hub BT sent me. A router from an independent firm would solve the problem quickly and permanently, so the cost of the router is of no concern. Thanks very much for the suggestion - I'll consider the problem resolved.