Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Aspiring Expert
0 Ratings

Using BTWiFi with FON - login problem.

Here's one for the Tech experts.

I have a laptop and a notebook. The both have inbuilt wireless.
When I boot them they both find, within the available wireless networks my BT4 Router
and BT WiFi with FON.
If I select the Router on either the notebook or the laptop then the browser automatically loads to my home page.
If I select BT WiFi with FON then the browser loads to the BTOpenzone login page - I enter my Username and password and then can browse as normal.

I also have a Desktop and for that I have a USB device for wireless - Belkin F5D8053 v6
When I boot the desktop I see the BT4 Router and the BT WiFi with FON networks as available.
If I use BT4 Router - no problem. It loads the browser and off I go.

If I select the BTWifi with FON option however I get the usual message "acquiring the network address" but it never does - I get 'Limited or no connectivity"

With the notebook similar to the desktop I have put both side by side and checked that all the settings on the desktop are the same as the settings on the notebook - but with no avail.
I am also confused because I never had any problem with BT Router 3.
I have had BTRouter 4 for a couple of months and only just tried the BTWiFi with FON connection on the desktop this week.
Bottom line it seems either Router4 doesn't like Belkin or Vice-versa.

Any suggestion please - not too complicated as I'm not a technical type.
Advance thanks for any that arrive.

Aspiring Expert
0 Ratings

Re: Using BTWiFi with FON - login problem.

I'm not sure there is but there may be a limitation of how many devices can be connected to the Fon network using the same login. Have you tried logging in with just the desktop?

I know you want to find the answer but if you are able to log in to the BT Hub from your desktop there is no reason for you to use the Fon login, the bandwidth available to Fon is far less than the main login which will give a much slower connection.
Distinguished Sage
0 Ratings

You can log in with as many devices as you want, there is no meaningful limit.

Have you tried deleting the connection to BTWifi-Fon from from your PC and then re-scanning and remaking it?

Aspiring Expert
0 Ratings

Apologies for not acknowledging replies.

Have been pre-occupied elsewhere and will return to this topic asap.

Aspiring Expert
0 Ratings

Some development.

Now manage to receive a wireless signal saying that both the Router and BTWiFi with FON are available however which ever one I choose I cannot load a browser page - I would expect to default to the BTOpenzone login page but it doesn't - just says problem loading page.

Distinguished Sage
0 Ratings

Are you saying you are not able to connect to either your home network, which will be something like BTHomehub4-xxxx or to the BTWifi-Fon network?

Aspiring Expert
0 Ratings

Under network connections it shows that both Router 4 and BTWiFi with FON are available.

If I click on either they now acquire network address and connect and show as connected with a good signal strength.

but, whichever I choose when I click on my browser to open it (Internet Explorer or Mozilla) it does not connect to the BTOpenzone login page for WiFi with FON - just get 'problem loading page' error message.

Distinguished Sage
0 Ratings

I assume that when you say Router 4 you mean the Homehub 4. When you connect to that did you at some point enter the "wireless passkey" that is on the Homehub label.

See link how to do that.

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/9692/~/how-to-set-up-a-wireless-connection

If you are using that connection it would not load the BT Openzone landing page. That would/should only open when you tried to log onto BTWifi.

Aspiring Expert
0 Ratings

Thanks for above reply.

Away from home at present and will recheck things when I return.

Certainly remember using the code on the slip attached to the Home Hub - but may have been on an ethernet connection at the time so will perhaps reset the Home Hub and try connection with the Belkin USB device.

Aspiring Expert
0 Ratings

Have done a few more trials and changes.

BELKIN USB device will not connect me to the Internet via the Home Hub connection but will not connect me via the BT with FON connection.

My Laptop will connect me to the Internet via the Router and via the FON links.

In the circumstances any family member visiting will be able to take advantage of the BT with FON connection it seems and that is what I was hoping.

Am essentially considering the matter closed.  Haven't got time to continue trying to do what may be impossible!