MrsAverage

BT FON -not family friendly?

BT FON seems ideal for us average family of 2 adults and 2 teenagers, each with phones and pc's - yet BT FON insists on all of us using the same e-mail address and password - and this has to be the main one that runs the account and access to security settings etc. As such I cannot allow my teenagers to use it, nor does my husband want my emails.

Does anyone have any ideas how the whole family can get wireless access away from home either using BT FON or something else all together?

Have reported this to BT but they seemed totally disinterested. I see it as a major drawback, especially with all the ads about family use...

Contributor
Bazza

Re: BT FON -not family friendly?

To connect to the BT FON/ Openzone that login must be the primary account holders username and password to my knowledge.

But one you have the connection, it is possible to login into applications such as email using the secondary account names e.g you can have the BT FON app on a phone, or login using a laptop/netbook but still read the email from your own personal BT email account on a device.

Obviously it means on a laptop you have to reveal your primary details to friends/familiy

regards

baz

Guru
AllanQuatermain

[ Edited ]

On top of what Bazza says, I can only see two ways round this:-

For BT to make access available for sub-accounts.

For the privelages of Owners/Administrators of the BT a/c to become more interchangeable.

Now that Fon is free for the customer, it would appear to be comparatively easy to extend it to sub a/c's.

A member of the mod team might comment on the owner/administrator issue.

Or, run the risk, and give your husband and children your email address and sign a treaty before you do so about its use/misuse :smileywink:

Edit:-

I've been thinking more about this, as it is an issue for lots of families potentially.  Whilst not entirely satisfacotory, I think I have thought up a workable solution - I hope! 

Sub-a/c's on your broadband only exist with the permission and authority of the primary a/c holder, and I suppose BT apply that principal to BTOZ/Fon as well, although the application is a little more tricky to work.

So, lets say that you decide to set up your husband and children's phones with your e-mail address (which they know) and your password (which is private to you) whilst near a hotspot.  The password on the four different types I've tried this on today appears as ...................... (ie a series of dots).  The number of dots is not the same as the number of letters in your password, and the theory is that once you've made the first sign in, the sign in cresdentials are held on the phone; username@btinternet.com and

I dont what devices you all have, but it might be worth a try; they use your password as it were, without knowing what it actually is. Its worked today for us (2+2). 

AQ.
"Welcome to Royston Vasey - You'll never leave."

CraigS

[ Edited ]

Hi Guys,

I see your point as it would be useful to have access extended amongst the subaccounts. 

I think the issue is that we only log one primary email address against your broadband profile and all subaccounts are merely an extension of this thus preventing sub accounts having the same access privileges.

To arrange what you propose would probably entail a major re-work on how we handle emails which I think is unlikely to happen.

However food for thought though.

Cheers

Craig

BTCare Community Mod

If we have asked you to email us with your details, please make sure you are logged in to the forum, otherwise you will not be able to see our ‘Contact Us’ link within our profiles.

We are sorry but we are unable to deal with service/account queries via the private message(PM) function so please don't PM your account info, we need to deal with this via our email account :-)”
td-p/30">Ratings star on the left-hand side of the post.

If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Guru
AllanQuatermain

I can see that would be a huge disruption, the Fon app. records the password as *************** so it would still remain private to the main a/c holder, although her sub a/c's could still access Fon.

AQ.

Rope

One possible option that would allow you and your husband to have the primary account (BT user login), and for your teenagers to have an additional login is to buy a FON adapter (www.fon.com), this would plug into one of your RJ45/CAT5 sockets in your homehub.

The Fonera can then be configured with a different email and password set, you could use a free hotmail account to set this up.

This may seem a bit long winded, but you would then bot need to worry about the children using your account. They will still be able to login at BTfon / Fon and Openzone access points.

MrsAverage

Thanks very much for all this.

However even if we were able to all log on using a hidden (masked) password, if all 4 of us were on line on different devices via a range of hotspots who would get the emails sent to the main account address?? I suspect all of us

BT haven't thought this through at all

Aspiring Expert
H_Dawg

If I was in this situation, I'd have the primary email account as a dummy account. Everybody would have the username and password for this account and use it to log into FON/OZ.

Then I'd create 4 secondary email accounts and give each one to a member of the family and then you could all use the secondary accountsa s your email accounts.

If you were worried about someone with the main account details having access to the secondary accounts, you could easily just use another email provider for free. If it's that much hassle, just create a gmail account and use that as your personal email. Problem solved.

Guru
AllanQuatermain

Nice one H_Dawg.  The black-ball club seems to have some very bright hombres in it, I'm sure not just anybody could join though eh what? :smileywink:

(Though I could see some concerns from a parents point of view about minors accessing the a/c details, parental controls etc.  I thought the masked password on the device would have sorted that for them). 

AQ.