Leilahodgkins

BT Wifi log in with BT email address

Hi there,

I have just signed up to the unlimited BT Wifi service and have a couple of questions that I wasn't able to find an answer to on your website:

1.  I believe that by opting in, I am now sharing my broadband with anyone in the vacinity who is also signed up to BT Wifi and chooses to log in.  My question is, does this effect my broadband limit?

2.  According to the info on the site, when out and about, I can log in to any available wifi service using my BT email address.  However, I recently got an email saying that my BT email address was going to be discontinued because I don't use it.  What will I use to log in when that email address is no longer valid?

Thanks for any help you can give.

Leila

Sage
Keith_Beddoe

Re: BT Wifi log in with BT email address

Welcome to this forum.
This is a customer to customer forum only, where forum members, who are only BT customers, can help each other with BT Retail products and services.

Anything you post here does not go to BT. Although the forum is moderated by BT, not all posts are read.

This link should help with some of your answers.

BT wifi help (was BTOpenzone)

As its your primary e-mail account that is needed to login, and BT use that to send service updates, I would expect that account to remain active.

There are some useful help pages here, for BT Broadband customers only, on my personal website.

BT Broadband customers - help with broadband, WiFi, networking, e-mail and phones.

Sage
imjolly

your Bt email address will only be discontinued if you don't access it once every 150 days.  you don't have to send any email and many will use a third party email client like windows live mail to check for emails and this counts as access

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side of the post.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Guru
Devon_Dave

Leilahodgkins wrote:

Hi there,

I have just signed up to the unlimited BT Wifi service and have a couple of questions that I wasn't able to find an answer to on your website:

1.  I believe that by opting in, I am now sharing my broadband with anyone in the vacinity who is also signed up to BT Wifi and chooses to log in.  My question is, does this effect my broadband limit?

No, you will always have priority on any bandwidth

2.  According to the info on the site, when out and about, I can log in to any available wifi service using my BT email address.  However, I recently got an email saying that my BT email address was going to be discontinued because I don't use it.  What will I use to log in when that email address is no longer valid?

You will log into the BTWifi hotspots using your primary email address and password, if this is not a regularly used email account I suggest you log into it every so often to avoid losing it.

(If I have helped you in any way to say "Thank You" please click on the star next to the message. Thank You)
If I have solved your Issue please click the "Mark as accepted solution" button.
Distinguished Guru
pottyperson

Leilahodgkins wrote:

According to the info on the site, when out and about, I can log in to any available wifi service using my BT email address.  However, I recently got an email saying that my BT email address was going to be discontinued because I don't use it.  What will I use to log in when that email address is no longer valid?

There is more info about closure of unused email accounts here. The 3rd FAQ answers your question: If you use your email address (for example john@btinternet.com) to log in to BT Wi-fi, but you don’t use BT Yahoo! Mail, don’t worry. Your email address will still work for that even after we close your email account.

You can click the white star next to this message if you think it was helpful.
Expert
soapy

all you need to do is log into your btinternet email account at least once every 150 days to keep it active but as far as i know the log in will stilll work on the bt wifi hotspots even if your email account is closed, just use the same log in details and password