Contributor
apshep

BTFon / Openzone Android app connection problems...again and again and again ........

I have a Motorola Atrix (although several of my friends/colleagues have differing mobiles/tablets) and we are all experiencing the same problems......IT DOESNT WORK!!!!

I can connect perhaps one occasion in 30 attempts if I'm lucky, and what has prompted thios entry is a successful connection which then dropped after 30 seconds and then would not reconnect after 50 attempts!!!!!!!

The wifi connects to the hospot and then the app attempts to connect but return a 'Connection Error' ' SOrry we have been unable to identify this hotspot. FOr your safety, please try another hotspot'. So I try another one and get the same result. I reboot the phone and get the same result.

This even occurs with hotspots that 6 months ago I was able to connect to!

The facility is bordering on useless and yet I am effectively paying for it through my Infinity contract.

This is a widespread problem, a quick search of the internet and these forums quickly prove it, yet there is no or little feedback to help.

Sage
imjolly

Re: BTFon / Openzone Android app connection problems...again and again and again ........

did you try the BTFON helpline  0800 022 3322  to see if they can help

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side of the post.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Distinguished Guru
pottyperson

Re: BTFon / Openzone Android app connection problems...again and again and again ........

I recently posted the following in another thread; if you try uninstalling it would be helpful to know how you get on.

The app is not essential; have you tried connecting without it on your iPod?

People have reported sundry problems with the app since it was updated a couple of months ago. I had no problems with it myself until a few days ago, when I was unable connect to a known hotspot because the app could not identify it. The presence of the app on my smartphone also prevented me connecting manually, so I uninstalled it on the spot (no pun intended) and was able to connect straight away. I'm now doing without until there is a further upgrade.

Uninstalling the app is not a guaranteed solution but worth a try. If that doesn't work you may even find that reinstalling will do the trick.

You can click the white star next to this message if you think it was helpful.
Contributor
apshep

I have previously tried going straight through the browser and to the landing page, but unable to get to the landing page, even when using the ip address.

I also have the Orange Wifi app which can control the access to BT hotspots and this has exactly the same problems. Because of the two apps haveing the same problems and unable to get to the labnding page, plus problems experienced by colleagues and friends I believe that it is more likely to be a problem at the Hub end (?????)

Contributor
apshep

Also just tried uninstalling the app.
I can connect via wifi settings etc as usual but then cannot get to the landing page to log in
Contributor
apshep

I tried the 0800 number shortly afetr aI started having problems (just afetr the app was updated to v3) and the answer was there is no answer!
Distinguished Guru
pottyperson

Sorry it didn't help. I guess the cause of my difficulty was different to yours; or maybe I was just lucky. Either way I've lost trust in the app until it's updated again, when I'll give it another go.

Sage
imjolly

the app error you describe I used to get before the last BTFON update.  since then it now connects automatically when I am out and about and it finds a BTFON wifi signal.  I connected without a problem today and was able to use my HTC to make a few calls using the sip facility - call quality was fine

maybe I am just lucky but it does work

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side of the post.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Distinguished Guru
pottyperson

I got the problem after the update. Thanks for the info - it may be worth reinstalling to try again.

Beginner
startingtopuff

Using Iphone Same problems tried both manual and BT fon app. Why doesn't someone from BT have the balls to admit its a pile of **bleep** and get it sorted