Lokar

BTopenzone/BTwifi / BTwifi with FON: DNS down

[ Edited ]

Morning,

I live in an area where there is supposed to be a good coverage (15 hotspot according to the hotspot locator from BT) and I used to connect to either BT-Openzone, BT-Wifi or BT-Wifi with FON.

Usually, when one network is down at least one of the other is up and I just need to switch to the working one.

It has been working fine for now almost 1years, however, since 2 weeks it became very unreliable (to say the least...).

It's either:  

• totally down: meaning that none of the 3 network quote above are available. They doesn't even show in the list of available network.
  • up but not responding: meaning that at leat one of the 3 network quote above is showed available, you can connect to the network but it show "no Internet access" and when I try to either ping something or display any website (including the homepage/login page from BT) I get a "DNS look up failed".

Nothing has changed in my wifi configuration ( automatic ip and DNS allocation,...) and, as it was working fine before, I concluded that the issue didn't come from my side.

And yes I did double checked my config to see if anything changed without my knowing ^^

I do appreciated that the quality of the wifi depend mostly of the willingness of the BThomeHub to dedicated some broadband to the hotspot and/or to leave it on when he's not here but still...

I work at night and therefore am not present during the "peak" time. I usually used internet early in the morning 7am - noon or in the middle of the night 00am - 8am.

Also, I do not believe that every BThome Hub owner choose to turn off their router at the same time.

Considering all that, I was baffled to see that I was unable to connect to the internet for  now 2day straight.

If I had to take a wild guess I would say that the DNS from BT is down or seriously malfunctioning. While being, in my opinion, the most likely explanation of my failure to connect I have a hard time believing that a BT DNS could be down more than half a day without anyone noticing or doing anything to repair/"reboot" it.

If someone had any idea other that "be patient" I would be very grateful.

If not, I will try again and if it's still not working I may have to consider another option to recover an internet access.

Thanks in advance ^^

[edit] I also read this topic but it's not helpfull in my case. The Service status page does not show any work / faulty network in my area (Brighton). As already stated above, my laptop is already configured to obtain IP & DNS server addresses automatically. As I'm not a BT home Hub owner I can't reset the hub...

Expert
conrad

Re: BTopenzone/BTwifi / BTwifi with FON: DNS down

Where I live there are supposed to be 10 hotspots. The only useable one is from my own hub. You appear to have been lucky over the last year. BT are rebranding things to just BT-WiFi so the 'apparent' number of networks is being reduced anyway.

When you try to connect are you expecting an immediate response as I have found recently I need to wait for the 'additional log on details' balloon to appear before I can log on - this happens even when the icon is still showing no internet access!

Lokar

Ok...it seem that it was temporary.

Now I feel kind of silly.

However, I still do not understand how come every can be down for 24h in a city center with lots of hotspots.

I read something about the heavy rain neing able to interfere with the antenna from the "BT Box". Could it change something Wify wise ? 

conrad wrote:

BT are rebranding things to just BT-WiFi so the 'apparent' number of networks is being reduced anyway.

What do you mean by that ?

As far as I understood the rebranding thingy is just a cosmetic change. The quality and/or the reliability of the service should not change.

conrad wrote:

When you try to connect are you expecting an immediate response as I have found recently I need to wait for the 'additional log on details' balloon to appear before I can log on - this happens even when the icon is still showing no internet access!

Well, I do usually wait for a reasonable ammount of time.

After that, either I try another network or disconect/reconect to the same network.

Distinguished Guru
pottyperson

Glad your problem seems to have sorted itself out.

If you're using a wifi dongle, my advice would be to consider changing to mobile. When out and about I have the choice, but I find wifi very problematic unless I'm at a trusted hotspot. 3G coverage is far more reliable especially in a city centre like Brighton.

Obviously, it's a different matter if you're using free BT WiFi access.  

You can click the white star next to this message if you think it was helpful.