robotman

Can't connect Kindle to BT Openzone

I am trying to connect my Kindle to BT Openzone. I read the help item on this and followed the process outlined but all I get when I click on "connect" is a message that says "Unsupported Wi-Fi network
Enterprise or peer to peer Wi-Fi networks are not supported. Try connecting to other networks"

The BTOpenzone signal is coming up with 4 bars when the Kindle scans for available networks so the signal should be OK

I am an experienced IT person and have set up lots of other networks but finding BT connection very unreliable.

I have also tried connecting to the Openzone signal from my PC without success and from my PC and the Kindle to a BTFON hotspot all without success.  I am very disappointed with the capabilities of this service.

Any ideas please

Guru
AllanQuatermain

Re: Can't connect Kindle to BT Openzone

Hi robotman, welcome to the forum.

Acess via the landing page is with the status of "BT BB customer", using your primary e-mail and password details.

Use btinternet.com and not btopenworld.com in the email address.

AQ.
"Welcome to Royston Vasey - You'll never leave."

robotman

AQ - Thanks for the comments but I can't get to the landing page as I can't get the connetion established on the Kindle due to getting the message about it not supporting Enterprise or peer to peer networks.
Sage
Keith_Beddoe

[ Edited ]

The Kindle makes a direct connection to Amazon`s cloud service, and does not connect to the Internet in the normal way.

It will not work via a BTOpenzone hotspot, or any corporate network. You can however use a mobile phone like a HTC Desire, which can create a WiFi Hotspot.

I have a Kindle, and have monitored the traffic on my WifI network using Wireshark, and have seen the connection process. It connects to   pins.amazon.com first, to establish an initial path, and then compute-1.amazonaws.com

There is no way to make it connect via FON or Openzone, as it gets its IP and routing direct from Amazon, just like a VPN.

Edit:-Please see correction later

Its all in the clouds, so they are saying :smileywink:

There are some useful help pages here, for BT Broadband customers only, on my personal website.

BT Broadband customers - help with broadband, WiFi, networking, e-mail and phones.

Distinguished Guru
DS

I don't have a kindle, but have been told it is possible to connect to Fon:smileysurprised:

Carry out a search for available networks

Connect to a Fon spot

You should get a message similar to 'go to browser', click yes

You then need to select a saved bookmark, you should then get redirected to the fon landing page

Sign in and it should work

(if this doesn't work, sorry, but if it does.....)

-+-No longer a forum member-+-
robotman

Keith - If that is true, I can't understand why BT have an article called "How do I connect via BT Openzone to the Internet with my Amazon Kindle" on their bt.custhelp.com pages, which gives a connection process that is supposed to work. I also think that I managed to get a connection to BTFON at home, but as I am away from home now and have very limited connectivity I can't retest this. Anyone else got any thoughts on this? - particularly anyone from BT
Cheers Robotman
robotman

DS - I think you are right, but the problem I seem to get is in making the connection - most of the time when I click on connect for BTFON I just get the message "Unable to connect to Wi-Fi network - WiFi network connection failed - Your kindle is unable to connect to the Wi-Fi network "BTFON". Would you like to try again or manually set up this network?
cancel / set up network / try again"
Unless the signal is very strong It seems to be able to see a BTFON connection on the scan but then be unable to connect to it. Do other people get problems like this?
Cheers
Robotman
Sage
Keith_Beddoe

[ Edited ]

robotman wrote:
Keith - If that is true, I can't understand why BT have an article called "How do I connect via BT Openzone to the Internet with my Amazon Kindle" on their bt.custhelp.com pages, which gives a connection process that is supposed to work. I also think that I managed to get a connection to BTFON at home, but as I am away from home now and have very limited connectivity I can't retest this. Anyone else got any thoughts on this? - particularly anyone from BT
Cheers Robotman

I was not aware of this article, but will look it up. I tried to connect to FON while on holiday and it dit not work, even though my laptop did.

That is why I did some tests at home, to see how it attemped to connect.

It gets the IP address in the normal way via DHCP, then it does a DNS lookup to pins.amazon.com.

Connecting via FON would result in a DNS lookup failure, and a re-direct to btopenzone.com:8443

If the workaround on the BT site is supposed to work, then maybe you picked one of the many "faulty" hotspots running from HH2s.

If it does work, then I stand corrected :smileywink:

There are some useful help pages here, for BT Broadband customers only, on my personal website.

BT Broadband customers - help with broadband, WiFi, networking, e-mail and phones.

Sage
Keith_Beddoe

[ Edited ]

Well I have tried connecting to a BTOpenzone hotspot from a neighbour who is using a HH3 and it worked first time, as described on the BT help page.

http://btybb.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/32215/~/how-do-i-connect-via-bt-openzone-to-the-in... 

So I had made the wrong assumption, based on my experience while on holiday. Must have been a faulty hotspot, which I suspect is the souce of your original problem, and those of many other people.

The web browser in the Kindle 3 is actually quite good, and easy to read, but I wish it would remember the zoom settings between pages. I find the default zoom level a bit on the small size for my eyes, even when wearing spectacles.

robotman

I've spent all morning driving round towns and estates all over Anglesey trying to connect on either the Kindle 3G or my netbook PC and finally managed to find just one Openzone hotspot connection that finally connected on my netbook.

Even sites that registered a full 5 bars failed to connect and I never managed to get a connection on my Kindle at all.

Combined with the fact that there seems to be virtually no 3G phone signal anywhere around here this is a dreadful place to try to do anything mobile. A real bummer that I need to visit relations here regularly.

Can anyone at BT tell me why connection success in this area is less than 5% even with openzone hotspots that show strong signals.  

Frustrated Roboman