Contributor
yorkshirelass
Accepted Solution

Dongle @ £40 , is this the right thing for me ?

I have just upgraded from Broadband option 1 to Option 3. for a 12 month contract.  Once or twice a year I take my laptop to areas where I have had difficulty connecting to the Internet with BT Fon. I have just seen an advertisement from BT about a dongle costing £40  with 1GB that more or less guarantees a connection.  Would this be a good idea for an occasional user and if I used up my 1GB , how much would it cost to get another 1GB ? Thanks in advance for any help or advice that you can give me.

Distinguished Guru
pottyperson

Re: Dongle @ £40 , is this the right thing for me ?

I've had a similarly-priced Vodafone dongle for a few years and think it was money well spent. It does depend on a decent connection to the mobile phone network though, and that can be flaky in some places. Best thing is that I still have about £25 left of the original £15 credit! Don't ask.

I think I'll never use up the credit as I more recently got a smartphone. Fiddly for internet use but very convenient.

You can click the white star next to this message if you think it was helpful.
Contributor
yorkshirelass

Many thanks for your reply but I really wanted to know about using a BT dongle with my laptop or net book not a phone. I have used BT Fon to connect wirelessly before as I have a BT Yahoo wireless connection/ network but from reading the advertisement for the BT Dongle it would appear to give a quicker connection even in remote places. Having paid a one off fee of £40 for IGB, I then have been unable to find out how much a top up costs. I have not bought it yet , wanting to do my research first.

Distinguished Guru
pottyperson

I only mentioned the phone because it's more convenient for many functions, and didn't intend to suggest it as an alternative for you. The dongle uses the mobile network and it's performance will depend on a strong enough signal, just as a phone does. Subject to that, it should be fine in your laptop or netbook - I have both and it works for them when I need more than the phone provides.

This link gives top-up and other information and will hopefully help your research: http://www.productsandservices.bt.com/consumerProducts/displayTopic.do?topicId=27788

Contributor
yorkshirelass

Thank you for your quick reply., sorry to be so stupid. ! My husband has just reminded me that he bought a USB 3Mobile broadband dongle for a business trip a couple of years ago but has never used it since. Will that do the same job as the BT dongle? Seems a bit silly to buy another  dongle if we don't need it !

Distinguished Guru
pottyperson

yorkshirelass wrote:

Thank you for your quick reply., sorry to be so stupid. ! My husband has just reminded me that he bought a USB 3Mobile broadband dongle for a business trip a couple of years ago but has never used it since. Will that do the same job as the BT dongle? Seems a bit silly to buy another  dongle if we don't need it !

A problem may be that even if there's no actual time limit on a data package, some expire if the dongle not used for a certain time (I think mine's 6 months). Certainly worth a try; if it has expired a top up will be cheaper than a new dongle. 

Contributor
yorkshirelass

Thanks once again for all your help; it's much appreciated.I've just unearthed the 3 dongle and will see if I can get it to work. Thanks again.