pedro-pecker

Hot spots

Hi all I'm new to the forum please be gentle!

Question about hotspots?? Why does BT brag about all these hot spots they are not surly?? bt does not tell you if a hotspot is active "The Wi-Fi signal is subject to the BT FON owner making the hotspot available. BT does not have any control over this availability"

so why not just show on there map the hotspots that are available? Would this not make it clearer?

I tried to use my laptop in a hotspot area (according to the map) but no hotspot was found? That cannot be a wifi hotspot? Or am I missing something.

Thanks

Distinguished Guru
DS

Re: Hot spots

[ Edited ]

Hi pedro-pecker and welcome

pedro-pecker wrote:

Hi all I'm new to the forum please be gentle!

Oh, and here's me ready to be Mr.Nasty, but okay then:smileyvery-happy:

Question about hotspots??

Ooo-err, not the dreaded hotspots!

Why does BT brag about all these hot spots they are not surly??

So you've noticed how difficult it can be to connect to one, if any....

bt does not tell you if a hotspot is active "The Wi-Fi signal is subject to the BT FON owner making the hotspot available. BT does not have any control over this availability"

There are many ways for a user to prevent the hotspot being made available to other users. BT are correct as they have no control over this, unless the user has opted out, thus BT 'see' this and it can take a while for them to update the map

so why not just show on there map the hotspots that are available?

As far as BT are concerned, all the hotspots on the map are currently active, unless some are in the 'update' queue.

Would this not make it clearer?

BT would find it extremely difficult to monitor all hotspots in realtime

I tried to use my laptop in a hotspot area (according to the map) but no hotspot was found? That cannot be a wifi hotspot? Or am I missing something.

The areas on the map are NOT the exact location of the hotspots. The reason for this is user privacy. Most laptops have WiFi monitoring applications pre installed, that you can use to find a hotspot by walking around till it finds a BTFon/Openzone hotspot, then try to connect. Good applications that are available to download for free are inSSIDer (for windows) or istumbler (for mac) or iwlist (linux). These will show all WiFi signals and the strength of the signal.

Thanks

-+-No longer a forum member-+-
Sage
imjolly

Re: Hot spots

can I add that you do not need a hub to opt into BTFON/openzone so what may be a hotspot on the map (from BT's records) is not really as the 3rd party router will not broadcast BTfon or openzone

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side of the post.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.