Distinguished Guru
DS

Re: How to Turn Off BT FON

Carrying out a hard reset should disable it, but it doesn't if the BT whatever system it's called has not been updated, even if the BTFon site states you've opted out.

The site knows you're opted out but the system won't be updated straight away. From my own experience BT do rush to enable, but don't rush themselves to disable - it could be an automated process or someone manually flicking a switch.

So once the system knows and sends the 'this hub no longer needs to transmit BTFon/openzone' signal, then should it still transmit, a hard reset can and should then remove Fon/Openzone.

I too like the HH3, not as much as I used to though:smileysad:

Once the signal is gone, either by waiting and resetting or waiting, resetting and also calling them, then it should be gone until you opt back in.

Regarding the speed test, this can happen when connected to your own hub, it has also happened to me. Not sure why. I would say that testing at another hotspot would only give the 512kbps result or less.

-+-No longer a forum member-+-
Aspiring Expert
MrBelter

Thing is i was never opted in, Fon came on all by its self and when i checked on the Fon site it was showing me as opted out, thats why before i opted back in and out it should have gone but it didnt.

Distinguished Guru
DS

Just had a thought.

Is there any chance that someone has obtained your primary email account details and started this whole thing off by using this to sign in to Fon. You then opt out (rightly so) for them to want to use a Fon/Openzone hotspot and opt 'you' back in again.

If you think this is possible, which if I'm honest it is, I suggest you change your email password.

-+-No longer a forum member-+-
Aspiring Expert
MrBelter

No no one has the email address, in the HH3 it is showing disabled and in my BT Fon account you cant see how many Fon minutes i have used so as far as the system is concerned it is off and i cant log in to ant Fon hotspots, however BT Fon is still broadcasting from my HH3.

Aspiring Contributor
Simon-H

Thanks for the excellent tip regarding calling 0800 022 3322.

I was unfortunate enough to call the broadband technical helpline and spent 40 minutes talking to two people, one who was apparently a manager and I was told the following:

The hotspot was being broadcast from a neighbour’s house.

The hotspot was not being broadcast at all and my computer was displaying a list of previously used hotspots.

Home hub isn’t meant to stop broadcasting BT FON, Opting out just means that you can no longer use it.

The manager even asked if I would allow him access to my computer so he could check what was going on.

When I refused and asked why he wanted to access my computer he said I might have a virus or a bug.

Hung up, found this forum, called 0800 022 3322 and chose option 2.  

Within 30 seconds of answering my call the BT FON guy knew exactly what the problem was. The update to deactivate BT FON on my home hub2 had failed because when it was sent there was a major outage of broadband in my area. Another 30 seconds and he had opted me back in then opted me back out again, job done.

Without your post I would never had got rid of BT FON.    

Thanks

Distinguished Guru
pottyperson

The phone helpdesk is indeed next to useless. I doubt that there is any single thing BT could to please their customers more than bringing it back to the UK and running it with properly-trained staff who understand the business. 

You can click the white star next to this message if you think it was helpful.
Aspiring Contributor
Simon-H

Well the knowlegable BT Fon guy said it could take up to 2 weeks for my router to stop broadcasting, even though it says 48 hours when you opt out. 

2 weeks after he sorted it out and it is still broadcating fon and openzone and I cant undestand why I was told 2 weeks unless it is a ploy to stop you calling back so often. 

I am begining to think BT have no intention of stoping it.

Been with BT for 22 years so I'm not one that chops and changes. Now I'm asking myself why do I want to stay with BT when they force openzone on me just so they can go on about how many hotspots they have. Why on earth did they remove the option to deactivate BT Fon. The option was there when I first got the HH2

Could I be being hard on BT, could my home hub2 be faulty and not respond to BT updates. 

Sage
Keith_Beddoe

If you reset the home hub to factory default, that should reset the coniguration fil.

There are some useful help pages here, for BT Broadband customers only, on my personal website.

BT Broadband customers - help with broadband, WiFi, networking, e-mail and phones.

Aspiring Contributor
Simon-H

Thanks Keith,

I did a reset about 6 weeks ago when I first realised that bt fon was broadcasting and the deactivate button was missing.

Just did another reset and its still the same.

BT Fon still Active and no button to deactivate. Do I have to wait 48 hours after a factory reset, do I need to get BT to send the update file again.   

hh2.png

Sage
Keith_Beddoe

Was that a full reset to factory defaults? That should load the default user.ini from firmware.

Its possible that BT have changed the firmware file so that the user.ini file defaults to FON activated. This would mean that a "de-activate" file would have to be sent from the configuration server to stop it.

It does sound like your hub is not communicating with the server. If you look in the event log you should see CWMP or TR-069  events.

Was there any reason why you wanted to de-activate it?

If you cannot get it sorted then

If you would like to contact one of the UK based BT Care Team who moderate this forum, they should be able to help you.

They can be contacted using this link BT Care Team

They normally respond by phone or e-mail, within three working days, however you should get an immediate confirmation, with a tracking number.

There are some useful help pages here, for BT Broadband customers only, on my personal website.

BT Broadband customers - help with broadband, WiFi, networking, e-mail and phones.