Mrs_have_it

How to connect a PS3 to BT Openzone or Bt FON

I thought I would post this information as it has taken me all morning, a lot of phone calls and reading on google to sort this out!!

Problem I had:  I want to take my PS3 to my parents house when visiting and they dont have any access to the internet.  I am a total broadband customer and have access to BT FON & Openzone.

I called BT directly and they said they didnt support it so I nearly gave up however I have now found out exactly how to connect!!

Go to Network settings on PS3

Go to  - Internet connection settings

Choose - Custom

Choose - Wireless

Choose - Scan

Pick whichever has highest signal strength - either BT FON or BT Openzone

SSID should come up with BtOpenzone (leave it as it is!)

WLAN settings - choose none

IP address - auto

DHCP host - do not set

DNS - Automatic

MTU - automatic

Proxy server - do not use

UPNP - enable

Press x to save settings

At this point it will test connection and show the IP address has been found but the internet connection failed, this is fine. Come out of settings and go to your internet browser on PS3

Once you launch the browser you get the BT openzone log in page, enter your details if you are a customer or buy the package / whichever is your preference.  

Once you have logged in you can then close the browser and launch an online game!

I played Black Ops on BT Openzone at signal strength 100%, it was perfect and I had no problems at all!

I hope this helps!!!

mr_unkown

Re: How to connect a PS3 to BT Openzone or Bt FON

thankyou Mrs_have_it you are a genius and saved me an awefull lot of effort.

Olliesherlock

Hi, tried connecting the way you described but the ps3 returns the error message 'Attempt to obtain ip address timed out'. is there a fix?

MatthewWaugh

Im looking for a fix for this problem also.. please someone tell me.

Beginner
carlblakemore

has this ip address ever had a solution found as i am currently going mad trying to get mine to work!!
Sage
john46

What IP address are you referring to??
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
Beginner
carlblakemore

Hi, the IP address issue mentioned above where the PS3 will not pick up an IP address from the openzone access point is what i was refering to. Has anyone found a solution to this as mentioned above?

Sage
john46

Why are you using Openzone and not your normal wireless network
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
Beginner
carlblakemore

Hi, BTOPENZONE is my normal wireless network. I only have openzone and pay monthly for it!

Has anyone found a solution to the problem mentioned above with regards to the PS3 not obtaining an IP adrress from the OPENZONE access point? I alled th openzone helpline last night and am no further on today!

Please can someone help me!!

Sage
john46

Openzone is not designed for gaming due to its speed and connection time limits