Aspiring Contributor
Sobryma

Re: How to disable the stupid BT FON..?

Thanks have voted on helpful answer

The crazy things is BT (and so many others) make life so difficult - people that design these things should actually test them with real people - most of whom just want a stable product that works, options are good but should be that and not destroy the core product.

Sage
john46

They do test them with real people
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
Aspiring Contributor
Sobryma

Yes they probably do but I doubt in depth and there's an element of a designer looking at a block of flats and showing his wife.

Thus far I've found the BT software element to be at best average which is a shame (I don't really see the advantage in them actually issuing any). Don't get me wrong compared to my previous provider its an almost godlike beauty.

I spend most of the day on a PC so have vague idea of decent approach............  the reaction of my teen daughter to FON was - oh that's a pain in the ****, you can get around it by......

Could be worse could be SAP

Sage
john46

home hubs 3 was in test for over 6 month both with bt employees and selected customers as to FON a very useful feature if you travel a lot or use a smart phone you have unlimited download available to you. if you leave it active on your own hub your access is anywhere in the UK and Europe
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
Aspiring Contributor
Sobryma

[ Edited ]

I;ll take your word on it but misses the point - hence as I said above....

options are good but should be that and not destroy the core product

It's much better to offer a stable core product and software - and then make available other options rather than ship as a default, BT could be so good given it market placing, and I suspect a lot of people would be happy to pay a relative premium but my experience since returning is it singularly fails to get its act fully together. And that's not to say its rubbish as many providers clearly are.

Contributor
MikeZ

It is an option. You can disable it if you want. I've left mine enabled as I find the ability to use BTFON and BT Openzone hotspots very useful when travelling.

I'm happy with the security - the BTFON and BT Openzone SSIDs use separate IPSec VPNs to BT's network and have a very low impact on my bandwidth when they are being used (which appears to be most of the time, looking at the HH3 log).

walcarpit

I have always appreciated the OX facility when out and about (although I do wish it would accept my login automatically ratherthan having to log into each and every hum that I happen to want to access).

My problem is with my service at home, which is out in the country and has no need for password protection.

I removed the passord for ready access for any passing guest but many machines, particularly my Father's keep jumping to Fon or OZ by default - which means a lot of browser rigmarole.

BT's help is universally Windows centric but we all use Mac OS.

Can anyone provide instructions to switch off the duplication here and make an octogenarian's life that little bit simpler?

Sage
john46

what duplication do you wish to turn off
Aspiring Expert
Alan63

[ Edited ]

I find it very useful when out and about - but if you don't want it then unregister - there are instruction on how to do this in 'help' and in the hub - I think takes a few days to update your profile.

If you do like it and you have a smartphone then get the BT Fon app - makes life easier as you log in only once.

I use a Mac too there are 2 ways to help :

1. the easiest way of choosing which to use is in top right hand corner - click on the 3 curved bars (if wireless) and the available network services are there. Click the one you want to use.

or,

2. Go into 'network preferences' (click the apple sign top left) and set your default to the hub name - you do this by clicking and dragging the hub name to become the top name in any list of available networks.

I'm not at my imac as i write this so forgive me if i'm out a little...

stringvest

[ Edited ]

to reply to john46 - with respect, you have not answed the question here.  You have gone around the question, presumably to prevent this person removing his bandwidth donation to FON.   The question is how do you disable BT FON?  I am in an area where line speeds are very limited (less than 2Mb).  I find that FON is enabled, and there is no obvious way of disabling it at the modem.  At the risk of sounding mean spirited, I need every precious Mb I pay for.  I have no interest in using other people's bandwidth either.  I just want to receive all of my bandwidth.  

Would anyone be prepared to enlighten us on how to disable FON?  Disable as in switching off the function?