Beginner
robswad

installing btfon wifi app on HTC Touch2 (supplied by BT Mobile)

Hi wise ones

I'm on BT Mobile using the HTC Touch2 BT supplied, and I'm having problems.

The HTC Touch2 is recognised by the Windows Mobile Device Center (using Windows 7 on the desktop), and that means I can sync happily.

But the HTC Touch2 is not recognized by the marketplace when I try and download the Fon wifi app (no helpful link in the email BT sent out today)

And the HTC Touch2 isn't recognised by Zune either.

I'm hoping that someone isn't going to say that although BT supplied me with the HTC Touch2, it isn't compatible with any of the things that I thought it was there to do (like be able to link into Fon without having to put in the user name and password every 10 minutes on the bus on the way to work, for example) and therefore not being able to use BT Fon is eating into my allowance (which of course makes BT lots of luverly loot).

Any suggestions ( I've used the microsoft fix-it tool but no luck on exit)

Thanks

Sage
Keith_Beddoe

Re: installing btfon wifi app on HTC Touch2 (supplied by BT Mobile)

I don`t think an FON app was ever developed for the touch2, you just have to connect manually.

There are some useful help pages here, for BT Broadband customers only, on my personal website.

BT Broadband customers - help with broadband, WiFi, networking, e-mail and phones.

Beginner
robswad

Hi Keith - thanks for the prompt response

I'm just puzzled why BT would supply me with a mobile phone that isn't able to access hotspots without logging in manually every 10 minutes (it makes the thing virtually unusable during the bus ride to and from work which is when I need to use it).

They've got another unsatisfied customer

Sage
Keith_Beddoe

Its more to do with the phone`s operating system, which is outside of BTs control. The new HTC desire  phones have no problem.

The Touch2 is probably getting a bit dated now.

There are some useful help pages here, for BT Broadband customers only, on my personal website.

BT Broadband customers - help with broadband, WiFi, networking, e-mail and phones.

Beginner
robswad

Funny that - never BT's fault.

It would be good if they pointed out which models they supply aren't compatible with their email updates. I suppose that is completely out of the question.

I've a good mind to bill them for the time spent pratting around today trying to install the "new" app they emailed me about this morning.

If you know where I can go to get someone to deal with this (as the contract has a good few months to go and when they supplied the phone, they didn't say it wouldn't work with their gizmos), I'd be very grateful.

Thanks

Guru
AllanQuatermain

In fairness to BT, the Touch 2 was launched long before the Fon app. 

It became [sadly] clear that BT were not going to develop a Fon app for the Windows smartphone platform.  This is perhaps reflected in the popularity of Android then and now, together with i phone and now [just] Blackberry.

As Keith says, manual login is an option, which Symbian and other o/s suppliers have to use.

The initial T2 contracts have long since expired and so I suppose BT took a view that Windows smartphones were not going to be thence offered - which indeed they are not. The Desire S and the Wildfire S are both Android.

I dont think you should hold your breath for a Windows release for this functionality - it wont be coming IMO.

AQ.
"Welcome to Royston Vasey - You'll never leave."