Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Aspiring Contributor
0 Ratings

BT Home Hub 5 - Cannot browse all devices on network

Recently got the upgraded Home Hub 5 and all seems to be well with my BT Infinity 2 fibre connection. Good speeds and excellent wireless performance but I have a strange problem that doesn't happen with any other routers - bascially I can't browse some network devices between the LAN ports and Wi-Fi.

Here's an example.. I can't see my HP Wireless printer from a laptop connecting with Wi-Fi (can't ping it or see it's web interface) so one wireless device can't see another but I can see the printer from a PC connected through the LAN ports on the HH5 and it works fine.

It's as though some kind of wireless isolation is going on in the router. So Wi-Fi clients can't see each other. This is also causing problems for multiplayer LAN games on Wi-Fi android tablets because we the devices can't see each other.

Is there any option in the home hub that needs checking? I'm pretty much ok configuring routers but I can't find anything that says "Wireless Isolation" or similar in the interface.

Any ideas? So annoying as everything else is great with this router.

Expert
0 Ratings

Re: BT Home Hub 5 - Cannot browse all devices on network

Are you sure you are not connecting to the Hub5 with BT WIFI instead of the hubs Wireless SSID ?

Aspiring Contributor
0 Ratings

No, it's definitely connecting through the correct SSID's as I use both the 2.4 GHz and 5GHz wireless bands with different SSID's that I have renamed from the defaults.

It's really odd because I can't ping other devices on the same wifi subnet and I've not changed any DHCP settings, it's all set with the router defaults.

Distinguished Sage
0 Ratings

Isn`t there an option to synchronise the two SSIDs?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Forumhelp (personal website) is back, with lots of useful info for BT home broadband customers..

Aspiring Contributor
0 Ratings

Yes, that's the default option, both 2.4 and 5 GHz SSID's are the same but that isn't the problem as the devices that cannot see each other are all connected to the same SSID and all on 2.4 GHz.

Distinguished Sage
0 Ratings

Is this thread any help, as I think the HH4 is the same?

http://community.bt.com/t5/Other-BB-Queries/Cannot-stream-share-files-over-home-network/m-p/931708#M...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Forumhelp (personal website) is back, with lots of useful info for BT home broadband customers..

Contributor
0 Ratings

I too have an HH5 hub and can't "see" my HP printer from my HP laptop using wireless. However I have overcome the problem by changing from wireless to ethernet connection for my printer. I can now see and operate my printer. 

Studon

Aspiring Contributor
0 Ratings

Yes, that is one solution - you can connect the printer by ethernet to make it discoverable but you shouldn't really have to do this.

Something is broken in the router firmware that is making discovery difficult or impossible in certain situations.

Hopefully BT will realise this and issue a firmware update as I see to have come up against a brick wall with further tests.

The other post above regarding the DLNA issues with the HH4 sound similar although not quite the same situation but I can see how it could be affecting this too.

0 Ratings

Yes, I have the same problem, I want to connect to a server on my Android Phone, so a wired connection just isn't an option. Never mind, I'll just have to throw the BT router away and get a decent one Smiley Wink

Aspiring Contributor
0 Ratings

Following up on this I've finally got all devices being discovered from WLAN to WLAN and WLAN to ethernet etc... last night for some odd reason my 2.4 GHz Wi-Fi dropped out completely although the 5 GHz band was fine. Held down the reset button for a couple of seconds and rebooted the HH5 and a few minutes later everything was back up and running and guess what? The devices that couldn't be discovered on the network suddenly appeared including the missing HP printer.

That's the first time I've rebooted it (ever) since installing the HH5 at the start of November. Not sure if there has been a software update or something but now all devices can be pinged and respond as they should do. No idea why that fixed it but for anyone else struggling try a reboot. Let's hope it continues but I still believe there is a bug in the firmware that caused the issue in the first place.

I'm on firmware 4.7.5.1.83.8.173.1.4