Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Contributor

BT Web Address Help service, i dont want BT intercepting my searches

Hi Guys, I came accross this service yesterday when trying to navigate to a URL that is no longer valid, after doing this i was redirected to a BT Web page saying the URL is invalid and suggesting some alternative pages for me rather than just getting the usual page not found msg from the web browser, i understand this could be a usefull service but i do not appreciate BT hijacking my search information without my express permission even if it is to help me, anyway a quick google search gave me 1 link with instructions of how to disable this service, I cannot find any official information from BT on any of its own sites with regards to this service, it totally smacks of the secret phorm trial that BT was running some time ago. anyway if this happens to you here is a link to the page that helped me to disable it if you so wish.

http://timstephenson.me.uk/bt-web-address-help-would-have-been-nice-if-b

hope this helps

Regards

Dyno

Aspiring Contributor

Re: BT Web Address Help service, i dont want BT intercepting my searches

There are a number of threads here about this, eg

http://community.bt.com/t5/BB-in-Home/BT-DNS-hijack-for-mistyped-or-invalid-URLs/td-p/45082

Perhaps we should complain to the Offices of the Information Commissioner and the Surveillance Commissioners again. Interception of communication without explicit informed consent (or without a court order or other explicit authorisation) is illegal.

Recognised Expert

Bit of a cheek just shows when anything changes for no apparent reason check on BT activities

If any post helps tick the star box on the left
Just cause Im paranoid dont mean they are not out to get me

Community Manager - Retired

Hi all

Web Address Help is a new service launched by BT which provides useful search results in place of an error message when a URL has been typed incorrectly. Customers are automatically given Web Address Help unless they tell us they don’t want it. It is easy to opt out if you would prefer not to have this service.

We have further information about Web Address Help on our Help pages on BT.com.  This page contains clear instructions on how to opt out.  Please use this link to find out more:  http://www.bt.com/help/webaddresshelp

Thx

Kerry

Retired BTCare Community Manager - StephanieG and SeanD are your new Community Managers

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side of the post.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.

Beginner

[ Edited ]

Unfortunately, the page "Click here to update your preferences." doesn't work, it leads to a page that says

Sorry. Unfortunately we have encountered an error and have been unable to check your Web Address Help preferences.

i.e. at the moment, the preference cannot be switched off, despite the instructions.

Recognised Expert

Just worked for me try again

If any post helps tick the star box on the left
Just cause Im paranoid dont mean they are not out to get me

Beginner

[ Edited ]

Ah, yes, I had to log out of the VPN first though!  Didn't notice that first time around - thanks!  And oops and apologies!

How does the disabling work? I take it that it sticks a cookie on your PC? This sucks if I now have to do the same thing for each browser on each PC at home... yes, uncommonly, we have more than one PC. This sort of intrusive rubbish should be opt-in NOT opt-out.

Really on a rant here - not only is this like the beginnings of Phorm mark 2, but the links shown on this so called service are sponsored Yahoo links... BT making money from people mis-typing web addresses?? Sounds like another **bleep** marketing idea...

Recognised Expert

emjx wrote:

How does the disabling work? I take it that it sticks a cookie on your PC?

No.